Sign in to follow this  
FLDelphi

How to update and install into new Delphi

Excuse my ignorance on this topic, but this install method is rare in my environment.

In July 2019 I used git to download the Omnithread library source code. I followed the instructions to install into XE3.

I would now like to 1) Download the latest master branch and update my XE3 and 2) Install the latest master branch into Delphi Sydney.

I realize there's a way to download/install OTL from the GetIt program, but I want to keep my components all in the same folder if possible. Failing that I want full control over where my components are installed.

What would be your recommended way of getting my 2 tasks done?

10 hours ago, FLDelphi said:

What would be your recommended way of getting my 2 tasks done?

Download and install.

Seriously, what's the issue?

@FLDelphi Use your favorite git tool (I prefer GitKraken) and clone the OTL main branch to the folder of your liking. If you use components, build and install them.  Use the git tool periodically to check for / pull updates.

• Like 1

Most components we use are packaged in an installer and they generally want us to completely un-install the components first. This also includes taking them out of Delphi.

Do I have to do this for my XE3 where they are installed already? Or just use git to download the latest branch and rebuild/reinstall?

Use your favorite git tool (I prefer GitKraken) and clone the OTL main branch to the folder of your liking.

I cloned the master branch however many years ago, and I was hoping I could just "Fast-forward" or "Merge", but I'm hesitant to do so since I'm very much not a git expert. Plus with the complexity of already having the components installed.

Thanks again

Edited by FLDelphi

12 hours ago, FLDelphi said:

I cloned the master branch however many years ago, and I was hoping I could just "Fast-forward" or "Merge", but I'm hesitant to do so since I'm very much not a git expert. Plus with the complexity of already having the components installed.

You don't have to be git expert to just do pull. Then open appropriate packages and build them, then install design-time one. Everything is simpler than with installers