Angus Robertson

RCS Chats - Rich Communication Services

Has anyone looked at the Google RBM (Rich Business Messaging) APIs, used for the SMS replacement RCS Chats that seems to be appearing on all our phones?  Personally, I'd missed it, just use Whatsapp. 

Not sure if RBM is the same as RCS, don't really follow mobile trends... 

But receiving and sending RCS from my desktop without needing to forward SMS would seem useful.

Angus

No-one has ever sent me a Telegram message, but I don't have it installed either. WhatsApp is however widely used, but does not have an official API for the consumer version. 

But RCS is being installed automatically, although perhaps not enabled by default, and will fall back to SMS, which is universal.

Angus

I don't think Apple is using RCS.

And the track record of Google regarding messaging is not the best.

~10 years ago there were some failed attempts of carriers in Germany trying to push a RCS based messenger. But WhatsApp had already won back then.

29 minutes ago, Angus Robertson said:

No-one has ever sent me a Telegram message, but I don't have it installed either. WhatsApp is however widely used, but does not have an official API for the consumer version. 

But RCS is being installed automatically, although perhaps not enabled by default, and will fall back to SMS, which is universal.

Angus

Probably depends on a country. Here Telegram is 2nd popular messenger after WA. FB and Viber etc are far less used (I know no people ever used Viber). What's good in Telegram is that it has good API suitable for rich variety of automation. At work we use it to send status messages from servers to devs' phones. I also heard about Discord or Slack also capable of such automation