Sign in to follow this  
MarkShark

SearchBuf issue since Delphi 11.2 fix for wholeword searching.

As of Delphi 11.2 they fixed the wholeword option handing (https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-20731) however they changed the way that SelStart works when searching backwards (its' now -1 based instead of zero based..)  To fix it to match the earlier behavior you have to do something like:

if soDown in StringOptions then
    Result := SearchBuf(Buf, BufLen, SelStart, SelLength, SearchString, StringOptions)
  else
    Result := SearchBuf(Buf, BufLen, SelStart - 1, SelLength, SearchString, StringOptions);

Basically, when searching backwards a SelStart of zero means to start the search at char position 1.  Maybe there's some reason to make it work that way, but it's a change from earlier versions where searching forwards and backwards used the easier to understand base of zero as the start of the search.  I haven't created a bug report for this as I had some problems with attempting to do it recently.   Also is there a way to do an ifdef specific to 11.2?

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, MarkShark said:

Also is there a way to do an ifdef specific to 11.2?

See 

• Like 1

Thanks!  Is using Searchbuf (unfortunately with the $if to fix this issue) ok to use as a solution to the SynEdit search engine issue I've been working on?  Otherwise, we'd need a reverse version of the current "Next" function which looks like it might be a Boyer-Moore implementation?

57 minutes ago, MarkShark said:

Thanks!  Is using Searchbuf (unfortunately with the $if to fix this issue) ok to use as a solution to the SynEdit search engine issue I've been working on?  Otherwise, we'd need a reverse version of the current "Next" function which looks like it might be a Boyer-Moore implementation?

Please open an issue and describe the problem.  Using SearchBuf should be OK.

Issue #78 and my pull request to start to fix it is #79.  I have it fixed and tested, just needed that last bit of info about the 11.2 problem.  Works great in my testing so far.