Sign in to follow this  
Yaron

Advice: Compiling with a friend's Delphi

I previously discussed the issue of not being able to upgrade my app to support the latest Android SDK because I haven't been making enough money on Android development to justify upgrading Delphi beyond v10.3.

My app is very simple, so I was thinking I may find a "compilation" partner that would just compile the source code for me on the latest version of Delphi.

Does that pose any licensing issues? I mean you're not expected to just develop for yourself, right?

6 hours ago, Yaron said:

Does that pose any licensing issues? I mean you're not expected to just develop for yourself, right?

May be !

The workaround is very simple, give him money, like 1 dollar will do and say the magic words, that he the compilation as business transaction, still there is a tiny problem here with using actual money and he need to declare it, so buy him pizza and make sure he did eat it in front of you, pizza can't be taxed, like all consumed food in it had been consumed, for you in this case the pizza is non monetary compensation can't be taxed as money transaction.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yaron said:

My app is very simple, so I was thinking I may find a "compilation" partner that would just compile the source code for me on the latest version of Delphi.

An issue could be also that a newer version of Delphi could require source code changes to be able to work with newer version of Android. Please do remember that nor platform support (due to changes at platform level) and fmx are not solid. From version to version there are required changes in order to get a correct output.

2 hours ago, Lajos Juhász said:

An issue could be also that a newer version of Delphi could require source code changes to be able to work with newer version of Android. Please do remember that nor platform support (due to changes at platform level) and fmx are not solid. From version to version there are required changes in order to get a correct output.

Yes, I'm aware, but Delphi is so slow under android that I wrote most of the UI code myself using bitmaps (and optimized the bitmap code too).