Sign in to follow this  
Yaron

Advice needed: Maintaining a Delphi application on the Google Play Store

Posted (edited)

I require some advice from the sages of this forum,

In 2019 I wanted to learn cross-platform development so I purchased the latest version of Delphi at the time and I wrote an companion Android app for my main Windows based software.

The Android app did not justify paying continued version renewals (making less than $400/year) so I stopped updating to new versions of Delphi, stopping at v10.3.

Even though my Android application is very basic, I don't think I can submit an app created in Delphi 10.3 to the google play store due to the old SDK version Google no longer accepts.

My question is, what is be the best path forward to allow me to submit new versions of the app to the google play store?

Use the community version?

Rewrite the app in a free alternative to Delphi (any recommendations)?

Something else I haven't considered?

Edited by Yaron

Good question. I have the feeling that Androids policies changes more fast than you can write a line of code.
Of course other IDE (Android Studio) might be better supported, but I think in general all developer face the same problems nowadays:
A code running today, probably is outdated tomorrow.

I think this is not dependent much on the IDE's or frameworks you use, but it's an Apple and Google policy, to keep developers under permanent stress level.

5 hours ago, Yaron said:

My question is, what is be the best path forward to allow me to submit new versions of the app to the google play store?

In terms of Delphi, the best way forward to put apps on Google Play Store is to use Delphi 12, since you need to target API level 33. You might be able to use Delphi 11.3 CE, however you'd need to consider any functionality used that might not work in Android 13 or higher, particularly taking/selecting photos.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yaron said:

Community version has very strict requirements considering who can use it. If you are earning money with your older Delphi version, then you definitely cannot use the community edition. Even if you don't earn money with it, you may get in trouble because community edition is cannot coexist with other Delphi versions not only on the same computer, but also on the same local network. If you think you have grounds for using it, you should check with Embarcadero officials first about your particular use case to avoid potential issues.

• Like 1

How practical would it be to try converting my app to a Lazarus project?

30 minutes ago, Yaron said:

How practical would it be to try converting my app to a Lazarus project?

It's useless. Lazarus approach to Android is totally different from FMX. You must rewrite all your code. And I don't know if last Android api level 33 are supported ...

So my only option to develop an Android app for free is to abandon Pascal as a language?

2 hours ago, Yaron said:

So my only option to develop an Android app for free is to abandon Pascal as a language?

No, you can use Lazarus / FPC but you must rewrite your application. Before that you must be sure that they support last Android SDK.

On 1/6/2024 at 2:40 PM, Dalija Prasnikar said:

If you are earning money with your older Delphi version, then you definitely cannot use the community edition. 

That's not exactly true as you can earn up to $5,000/year.   His app is making less than $400/year so it should qualify.

The frustrating problems with Community Edition is that it's not kept up to date, there is zero transparency on future updates, and updating licenses has never been very smooth.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Darian Miller said:

That's not exactly true as you can earn up to $5,000/year.   His app is making less than $400/year so it should qualify.

How much he earns from the Android app is not relevant. How much he earns in total is relevant. See:  https://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi/starter/faq

Yes, subject to the restrictions summarize below and stated in the License Agreement. If you're an employee of a small company or organization with revenue up to $5,000 per year, you can use the Community Edition. Once the company's total revenue reaches US $5,000 per year or your team expands to more than 5 developers, you must buy an unrestricted paid commercial license.

Also there are some restrictions if you already have other Delphi versions. the last thing anyone would want is receiving invoice for regular version, because they used CE edition for writing Android part of they regular Windows app developed in Delphi. Verifying that CE could be used in particular scenario is the best option.

• Like 2