Sign in to follow this  
Chris1701

Delphi 12 Application showing two windows on the taskbar?

I have hundreds of various projects that I've created over the years, I just went to make changes to one that I haven't worked on for a few months and last time I worked on it was with Delphi 11.3 and now I'm compiling and running it in Delphi 12 and it's an x64 Vcl application. The problem that I'm having it that when I hover the mouse over the taskbar icon it shows two program windows (see picture) and when I hover the mouse over the left appearing window it shows me the proper program form and the form title is the correct caption for the applications main form but if I hover the mouse over the right window the caption of that form appears to be the executable name rather than the caption and if you click on it all that pops up is the left appearing and correct program window / form. None of the other applications that I've converted to Delphi 12 seem to have this problem and just on the off chance that it was a problem with the project, I closed the project and deleted the project files and recreated the project and the new project seems to have the same problem. 656513532_20240127_DelphiDoubleApp.jpg.4b1ccf337e24f6dad31aa817743559e1.jpg

Just to be sure this is a Delphi 12 problem I opened the project in Delphi 11.3 and when I run it I don't have this problem with two application windows appearing on the taskbar.

Has anyone ever seen this in any program on Delphi 12?

Edited by Chris1701

11 hours ago, Chris1701 said:

I have hundreds of various projects that I've created over the years, I just went to make changes to one that I haven't worked on for a few months and last time I worked on it was with Delphi 11.3 and now I'm compiling and running it in Delphi 12 and it's an x64 Vcl application. The problem that I'm having it that when I hover the mouse over the taskbar icon it shows two program windows (see picture) and when I hover the mouse over the left appearing window it shows me the proper program form and the form title is the correct caption for the applications main form but if I hover the mouse over the right window the caption of that form appears to be the executable name rather than the caption and if you click on it all that pops up is the left appearing and correct program window / form. None of the other applications that I've converted to Delphi 12 seem to have this problem and just on the off chance that it was a problem with the project, I closed the project and deleted the project files and recreated the project and the new project seems to have the same problem.

Just to be sure this is a Delphi 12 problem I opened the project in Delphi 11.3 and when I run it I don't have this problem with two application windows appearing on the taskbar.

Has anyone ever seen this in any program on Delphi 12?

The posted image is not large enough to make out any details unfortunately. Is this a MDI application by any chance? That is an area in the VCL where some major changes were made.

This is not an MDI application, it's hard to get a screen capture while hovering the mouse over the taskbar icon but I don't believe a larger image will make a difference. This is a picture of the same program compiled and run under Delphi 11.3 and you can see that when you hover the mouse over the programs task bar icon you can see that there is only one program window compared to 12 where for some odd reason two program windows appear on the taskbar. When you hover the mouse over the taskbar icon on the V12 build and you see two Windows no matter which you click on you get the proper program window (on the desktop) showing the form with the proper caption i.e. "My Database application" and you can't bring up or maximize the window that doesn't have the forms caption but instead shows the executable name i.e. "MyDatabase.exe" as the caption.

1054060122_20240129_Delphi11.3noproblem.thumb.jpg.cbcdb4456012a349e396217845008936.jpg

Same here. Unless you are able to provide a reproducible test case we will have hard time to help you.

4 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Same here. Unless you are able to provide a reproducible test case we will have hard time to help you.

I'll see what I can do but this is the only project that I've migrated to Delphi 12 that has this problem, none of my other projects have this issue and I'm not sure why.

19 hours ago, Chris1701 said:

I'll see what I can do but this is the only project that I've migrated to Delphi 12 that has this problem, none of my other projects have this issue and I'm not sure why.

Check the project dpr file. Have you set Application.MainformOnTaskbar to false there? Does the form class override the CreateParams method or CreateWnd?

23 minutes ago, PeterBelow said:

Check the project dpr file. Have you set Application.MainformOnTaskbar to false there? Does the form class override the CreateParams method or CreateWnd?

The dpr file other than the usual uses is:

begin
  Application.Initialize;
  Application.MainFormOnTaskbar := True;
  Application.CreateForm(TdmData, dmData);
  Application.CreateForm(TMainForm, MainForm);
  Application.Run;
end.

So no, I'm not setting Application.MainformOnTaskbar to false and I'm not doing anything to override the CreateParams method or CreateWnd.