FearDC

[Logical advise needed] TCP persistent connection custom protocol server

Hi.

I'm currently working on a heavily-loaded TCP server in Delphi 12 using latest version of Indy 10, which will run on both Windows64 and Linux64.

There are over 3.000 concurrent clients connected to the server, every each of them is a persistent TCP connection using custom protocol - request/response based. Each connection is handshaked with as unique user with unique nickname/ID.

These requests are properly validated by several helpers like protocol parser, ban list, protocol feature support, flood detection, etc. So they involve shared memory access, hard-drive access, within and outside Indy classes.

The requests can be multiple, they can be one at a time, they can be ten or more at a time, from each client.

Main priority for the server is to follow the request/response order, otherwise protocol exchange will get out of sync between each connection and server. Connected users are also notified about connection/disconnection of other users.

So the actual logical advises I'm seeking is the correct/best way to perform this protocol synchronization, aswell as serving the requests in correct order. I will supply a basic class implementation of my application and write a few comments inside about which does what.

Server class:

type
  TOnUserConnect =    procedure(AConn: TIdContext) of object;
  TOnUserDisconnect = procedure(AConn: TIdContext) of object;
  TOnUserDataIn =     procedure(AConn: TIdContext; const AData: String) of object;
  TOnUserDataOut =    procedure(AConn: TIdContext; const AData: String) of object;

type // server listener
  TMyServer = class(TIdCustomTCPServer)
  protected
    procedure InitComponent; override;

private
    FOnUserConnect:    TOnUserConnect;
    FOnUserDisconnect: TOnUserDisconnect;
    FOnUserDataIn:     TOnUserDataIn;

procedure OnSocketConnect(AConn: TIdContext); // note: thread safety
    procedure OnSocketDisconnect(AConn: TIdContext); // note: thread safety
    procedure OnSocketExecute(AConn: TIdContext); // note: thread safety

procedure DoParseProtocol(AConn: TIdContext; const AData: String);

public
    LWaitFor: String; // command separator

FOnUserDataOut:    TOnUserDataOut;

property OnUserConnect:    TOnUserConnect    read FOnUserConnect    write FOnUserConnect;
    property OnUserDisconnect: TOnUserDisconnect read FOnUserDisconnect write FOnUserDisconnect;
    property OnUserDataIn:     TOnUserDataIn     read FOnUserDataIn     write FOnUserDataIn;
    property OnUserDataOut:    TOnUserDataOut    read FOnUserDataOut    write FOnUserDataOut;
  end;

procedure TMyServer.InitComponent;
begin
  inherited InitComponent;

Self.ContextClass := TMyClient;

Self.OnConnect := Self.OnSocketConnect;
  Self.OnDisconnect := Self.OnSocketDisconnect;
  Self.OnExecute := Self.OnSocketExecute;

//  Self.OnUserDataIn is bound below only to show short version,
//  otherwise it is specified in TMyServer parent class which is
//  actual protocol parser, user validator, and main worker

Self.OnUserDataIn := DoParseProtocol;
end;

procedure TMyServer.OnSocketConnect(AConn: TIdContext);
begin
  TThread.Queue(nil,
    procedure
    begin
      if Assigned(Self.FOnUserConnect) then
        Self.FOnUserConnect(AConn);
    end
  );
end;

procedure TMyServer.OnSocketDisconnect(AConn: TIdContext);
begin
  TThread.Queue(nil,
    procedure
    begin
      if Assigned(Self.FOnUserDisconnect) then
        Self.FOnUserDisconnect(AConn);
    end
  );
end;

procedure TMyServer.OnSocketExecute(AConn: TIdContext);
var
  AData: String;
begin
  AConn.Connection.IOHandler.ReadTimeout := 5000;
  AData := AConn.Connection.IOHandler.WaitFor(LWaitFor);

TThread.Queue(nil,
    procedure
    begin
      if Assigned(Self.FOnUserDataIn) then
        Self.FOnUserDataIn(AConn, AData);
    end
  );
end;

procedure TMyServer.DoParseProtocol(AConn: TIdContext; const AData: String);
var
  AUser: TMyClient;
begin
  AUser := AConn as TMyClient;

if AData.Equals('Validate') then begin

AUser.FNick := '<parsed data>';

//  below code will send response data to user directly - the connection will be written to,
//  but note that it's done inside Thread.Queue() - is this correct, or do i need to
//  step outside and perform the actual write? maybe some kind of internal buffer queue
//  that will write on OnServerExecute() to each connection?

AUser.SendData('Hello');

end else if AData.Equals('<bad command>') then begin

//  below code will disconnect the user, also inside Thread.Queue() - is this safe from here?

AUser.Connection.Disconnect;

end;

//  this is the actual protocol parser, from here user connection will be
//  verified, protocol parsed, responses written, other helper classes
//  will check for bans, shared memory access will be performed, file
//  contents will be read from hard drive and sent back to users,
//  thread-unsafe objects will be used, users will get disconnected,
//  basically all the main load will be performed here

end;

{ ... }

Client class:

type // user connection
  TMyClient = class(TIdServerContext)
  protected
    //

private
    FNick: String;
    FFeatures: TStrings;

procedure SendData(const AData: String);

public
    constructor Create(AConn: TIdTCPConnection; AYarn: TIdYarn; AList: TIdContextThreadList = nil); override;
    destructor Destroy; override;
  end;

constructor TMyClient.Create(AConn: TIdTCPConnection; AYarn: TIdYarn; AList: TIdContextThreadList = nil);
begin
  inherited Create(AConn, AYarn, AList);

FNick := '';
  FFeatures := TStrings.Create;
end;

destructor TMyClient.Destroy;
begin
  FFeatures.Free;

inherited Destroy;
end;

procedure TMyClient.SendData(const AData: String);
begin
  if Self.Connection.Connected then begin
    Self.Connection.IOHandler.Write(AData);

if Assigned((Self.Server as TMyServer).FOnUserDataOut) then
      (Self.Server as TMyServer).FOnUserDataOut(Self, AData);
  end;
end;

//  in this class connection will be written to, disconnected, etc

{ ... }

I know about Indys internal write buffering, it will be filled with an amount and written when maximum size is reached - this is exactly what I need, so basically I don't need some kind of internal buffer implementation for outbound data.

Thread syncing is required to step outside Indys threads in order to access shared data - what ever that could be. I do that, but I'm not sure if the actual write or disconnect against clients is the right place to perform.

Well, I hope you get the logic of my server - if not, please let me know, I will describe further.

Any advise is appreciated.

Regards.

Edited by FearDC

53 minutes ago, FearDC said:

Main priority for the server is to follow the request/response order, otherwise protocol exchange will get out of sync between each connection and server. Connected users are also notified about connection/disconnection of other users.

In a strictly request/response model, having the server send unsolicited notifications to the client will simply not work (unless they are delivered on a separate channel).  When a client sends a request and is waiting for a response, it won't know to expect or handle notifications before the response arrives.  And if the client is not waiting for a response, it won't be able to read in notifications at all until it sends its next request.  So, you would have to either:

• cache the notifications per-client and deliver them only in solicited responses.  But that means there is possible delay in notifications being delivered.
  • make the client poll the server for the status of other clients periodically. Which is usually not desirable, especially with the sheer number of clients you are dealing with.

Otherwise, you have to change your protocol to allow for clients to handle unsolicited notifications while waiting for solicited responses, and to handle unsolicited notifications while no request is pending.  This typically requires:

• the client to read from the connection constantly.
  • the client to include a unique ID in each request.
  • the server to echo that unique ID back in the corresponding response.
  • the server to format/identify notifications and responses in a way that allows the client to differentiate between them.

I know about Indys internal write buffering, it will be filled with an amount and written when maximum size is reached - this is exactly what I need, so basically I don't need some kind of internal buffer implementation for outbound data.

Indy's write buffering is at the byte level when interacting directly with the socket connection.  But you will likely need higher level message buffering at the business logic level instead.  IOW, you will likely need a per-client thread-safe queue for outgoing messages, and then you can push your responses and notifications into that queue as needed.  Then you can have the server's OnExecute event flush the calling client's queue to its connection when it is safe to do so.  I've posted examples of that many times before in various forums.

Edited by Remy Lebeau
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for your reply @Remy Lebeau.

I'm having hard time to understand what an "unsolicited" notification/response is - kind of "unexpected"?

I will provide you with short example of client to server handshake and further communication.

Client to server handshake:

Server > Client1: $Welcome|

Client1 > Server: $MyFeatures Chat Connect|$MyName Client1|

Server > Client1: $MyFeatures Chat Connect|$Hello Client1|

Server > All clients: $ClientOnline Client1|

(or disconnect if nick is taken for example)

Server > Client1: $ChatFrom Server Try another nick|

Client1.Connection.Disconnect;

Next part is a free communication where client talks first:

Client1 > Server: $ConnectTo Client2 Via 1.2.3.4:5|

(private communication between Client1 and Client2)

Server > Client2: $ConnectFrom Client1 Via 1.2.3.4:5|

(or ignore the request if Client1 is not allowed to connect)

Client1 > Server: $ChatTo Client2 <Message>|

Server > Client2: $ChatFrom Client1 <Message>|

(or ignore the request if Client1 is not allowed to chat)

Client1 > Server: $ChatToAll <Message>|

Server > All clients: $ChatFrom Client1 <Message>|

(or disconnect if Client1 is flooding)

Server > Client1: $ChatFrom Server Stop flooding|

Client1.Connection.Disconnect;

Another moment is where server talks first notifying everyone that someone enters or leaves:

Server > All clients: $ClientOnline Client1|

Server > All clients: $ClientOffline Client2|

That's it basically.

When a client connects, the server creates a separate thread where it handles reads and writes from/to client. It first welcomes the client, exchanges the handshake information and waits for requests from client. Possibly sends public notifications to client.

I don't really understand why the above would not work. Or do you mean that client will not be written to while server is reading the client - client thread is frozen and waiting for data from client? In that case there is timeout - is that the delay you are talking about?

Sorry, english is not my primary language, so it's not always I understand everything even if I try to translate. Also the logical part is the hardest part for me, even in real life, while writing the code is the easiest. 😛

Regards.

4 hours ago, FearDC said:

I'm having hard time to understand what an "unsolicited" notification/response is - kind of "unexpected"

Meaning, the server sends something to a client that it did not explicitly ask for.  Such as a notification when another client connects/disconnects, or when a client sends a message to other client.  Things which can happen at any time, outside of the normal request/response flow of "I want something" -> "Here you go" (solicited). "Oh, BTW, here is something else I have for you but you didn't ask for" (unsolicited).

Client to server handshake:

That contains a mix of solicited and unsolicited messaging.

The new client connects, gets a greeting, says hello, and gets acknowledged.  The client initiated an action and got a direct response before doing anything else.  That is solicited messaging.

Then, all of the other clients get notified of the new connection.  They didn't have to send any requests to receive that event, they are just blindly told that it happened, when it happened.  It happened in the background, and they have to passively watch out for it.  That is unsolicited messaging.

Next part is a free communication where client talks first

That is unsolicited messaging.  Client1 sends a request to the server (solicited), but then the server notifies Client2/etc (unsolicited).  Client2/etc did not send a request to receive that event, it/they are blindly told when the event happens.

Another moment is where server talks first notifying everyone that someone enters or leaves:

Same thing.

All that extra messaging that the server does in the background needs to be handled properly.  But if you code your server to just receive a request and send a response, you won't be able to handle that extra messaging at all.

When a client connects, the server creates a separate thread where it handles reads and writes from/to client. It first welcomes the client, exchanges the handshake information and waits for requests from client. Possibly sends public notifications to client.

And right there is the problem.  The code you showed doesn't handle that last part.  You can't just write to a given client connection whenever and from wherever you want.  You have to serialize your outgoing messaging.  Think of what would happen if 2 clients happen to connect/disconnect at the same moment and thus need to notify the same target client.  Or if multiple clients send private messages to the same target client at the same moment.  You don't want multiple messages to that target client to overlap, that will corrupt your socket communications.

So, you must provide some mechanism to make sure that subsequent messages wait their turn while an earlier message is still being written to the socket.  That could as simple as putting a critical section or other exclusive lock around socket writes.  But, that can cause unwanted blockages in threads that want to write to a socket, so that is where my earlier suggestion to use a per-client queue comes into play instead.  That way, only the thread that actually writes the queue to the socket may block, while other threads are free to continue putting new messages into the queue.

do you mean that client will not be written to while server is reading the client - client thread is frozen and waiting for data from client? In that case there is timeout

Well, that is certainly true, if you do the writing in the OnExecute event (as you usually should).  But, if OnExecute never writes, only reads, then you can do the writing from another thread.

is that the delay you are talking about?

I didn't say anything about a delay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for help @Remy Lebeau.

I will figure out some sort of priority outbound buffer with instant flushing.

I might ask more questions, but later in that case.

Regards.