Sign in to follow this  
Bruce53

Delphi Upgrade from 2007 / 2010 to XE5

I got stuck with a massive source base in Delphi 2007.  I upgraded to Delphi 2010 but the prospect of upgrading my whole software base and the 3rd party stuff through unicode was too much so it dropped thought.  When Embarcadero did a trade show in my area, I was intrigued by the idea of developing web apps and I bought XE3.  But I wasn't impressed and it didn't seem to be able to create web apps anyway.  I experimented a bit but after a week, uninstalled Delphi XE3.  Now, I see in my Delphi Account at Embarcadero thet there is a XE5 ISO.  Does that mean I get a free upgrade to XE5?  I emailed but never got an answer!  I'm just wondering if it is worth a try.

I would like to hear what anyone else has to say... 

I don't know if XE5 is the useful tool for producing WEB apps. But it was released over 10 years ago, I think that since it involves updating software perhaps you should upgrade to the latest version (or at least to a more recent version). now in addition to the TRIAL version which allows you to carry out a time-limited trial of the Architect version of Rad Studio, there is also the Community Edition version which is free within certain limits: link for the license and conditions of use:

https://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi/starter

In this link you can see the features of the individual commercial editions:

https://www.embarcadero.com/docs/rad-studio-feature-matrix.pdf

I don't think you can use the XE5 if you have bought XE3. You must discharge it but probably the license will not be activated during installation.

P.S.: take care that Embarcadero is updating all they server and services, so is possible that the community edition is not installable at this moment.

Edited by DelphiUdIT

15 minutes ago, DelphiUdIT said:

I don't think you can use the XE5 if you have bought XE3. You must discharge it but probably the license will not be activated during installation.

You can install XE5 only if you have had support for XE3 at the time when it was released otherwise no. You can try with your XE3 serial number to activate.

5 minutes ago, Lajos Juhász said:

You can try with your XE3 serial number to activate.

At that time there were not single license keys for multiple versions. You would need to have separate key for XE5. 

Serial keys should be listed at https://my.embarcadero.com/ But, I don't know if all keys are listed or just the ones that were activated at some point.

For user that purchased and had active subscription for XE3, they would have received have a XE4 and very likely a XE5 license (the XE5 was released a within a year and few days of XE5 release, so only those that bought XE3 immediately would have not received XE5 license, without prolonging their subscription) 

I appreciate the comments.  I did eventually get a reply from Embarcadero.  It was pretty blunt and ended with "case closed".  I wanted to ask why the ISO would be in my list of available downloads?