VilleK

Delphi IDE alternate registry location issue

Hi,

In older Delphi versions I used to make different startup shortcuts because I had clients with very different IDE settings and components.

I copied the Delphi shortcut and edited like this:

bds.exe -pDelphi -rsomeotherkey

The r switch is documented here: https://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Athens/en/IDE_Command_Line_Switches_and_Options

But if try this in Delphi 12 then it opens the "Embarcadero Product Registration" dialog. And when I enter my correct details (I have a valid license and subscription) it shows this message and exits.

"You are not licensed to used Delphi 12"

I remember had the same issue in Delphi 11 so Delphi 10 was the most recent version where it was working for me.

Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong? I've checked my license details are correct several times.

3 hours ago, VilleK said:

Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong? I've checked my license details are correct several times.

Just a comment, I use the registry switch myself and have not experienced this problem, so hopefully there is a straightforward solution.

I figured it out with the help of Embarcadero support.

It was my mistake. The default Delphi short cut is specified like this:

... bds.exe" "-pDelphi"

I copied the shortcut and added my option like this:

... bds.exe" "-pDelphi -rmykey"

For some reason the quotation marks around the parameters causes the registration wizard to appear when Delphi starts.

When I changed it like this then it works like expected:

... bds.exe" -pDelphi -rmykey

Edited by VilleK
removed syntax highlighting