PeterPanettone

Bug: Lock Controls is not restored at IDE start!

Posted (edited)

image.thumb.png.12aed977d70e15c070064c54535d46da.png 

The activated option "Lock Controls" in the Edit menu is not restored when re-starting the IDE!

This option is very important and helpful, as it prevents an unintentional repositioning of controls in the Form Designer!

It also prevents the annoying file change in the FormDesigner that frequently (randomly) happens when switching from the Code Editor to the FormDesigner (with F12), caused by the automatic re-aligning of aligned controls in the Form Designer:

image.png.cdd9be1f4b81ebb98ba23a64b8746547.png  

The option "Lock Controls" should be restored automatically when re-starting the IDE to prevent this annoying behavior!

Can anyone confirm this?

Edited by PeterPanettone
  • Like 1

As a possibly related note.  I've created a bug report Lock Controls not visible initially regarding that menu item having some issues when placed on an IDE toolbar.  I always do this when I customize the IDE after install.  It's a very useful feature.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

On the other hand, the "Show/Hide Non-Visual Components" setting in the Edit menu is already being restored between sessions:

image.thumb.png.e3eb26c2760b8cc337a965859104edb2.png

In other words, the "Show/Hide Non-Visual Components" setting is AUTOMATICALLY restored to its previous state when the IDE is restarted.

So, it seems the Embarcadero team has forgotten to restore the "Lock Controls" setting.

Edited by PeterPanettone

Posted (edited)

A comment has been added to the Quality Portal report:

Another possibility would be the implementation of a start parameter that switches on the "Lock Controls" option when the IDE is started:

bds.exe -LockControls

This switch would activate the “Lock Controls“ option in the IDE. This approach would add an additional level of flexibility.

Edited by PeterPanettone

Posted (edited)
On 4/27/2024 at 11:53 AM, MarkShark said:

As a possibly related note.  I've created a bug report Lock Controls not visible initially regarding that menu item having some issues when placed on an IDE toolbar.  I always do this when I customize the IDE after install.  It's a very useful feature.

The IDE plugin GExperts has a user-configurable TOOLBAR that allows you to place the LOCK CONTROLS command on that toolbar. It reflects the current state of the command (Locked or not):

image.png.a4149874faf6bd05782145b37359c63b.png 

There is even another plugin that has a similar toolbar functionality: CnWizards

Edited by PeterPanettone

Posted (edited)

It seems that the "Lock CONTROLS" command is assigned separately for each Form tab. This means it can be locked on one Form tab and unlocked on another.

Can anyone confirm this?

Edited by PeterPanettone