RockWallaby

Speech to Text for Writing Code.

Hi all,

I have just had surgery on my dominant hand and can't type except by using my left hand pressing one key at a time like I'm doing right now.

Does anyone know of a speech to text plugin for Delphi that I can use to dictate code?

Thanks.

= Steve

I'm guessing Serenade might get you closest to what you need, but not without some (extensive) preparation. Out of the box it does not support Pascal or Delphi, but it is extendable via custom commands and plugins: https://serenade.ai/docs/

That Serenade looks nice. But because Delphi is not directly supported:

You can try Windows native Text to speech - if it is supported in your language. Or for your needs maybe VoiceAttack could be simpler - to add basic hotkeys and scripts.

30 minutes ago, DiGi said:

You can try Windows native Text to speech - if it is supported in your language.

I have tried the Windows 10 built-in "speech to text" for a disabled person, just for dictating simple texts, and it is absolutely abysmal.

Meanwhile, Microsoft has acquired Nuance and its "Dragon" software, but I think its focus is nowhere on writing code by speech.

Dragon - The World's #1 Speech Recognition Software | Nuance UK

12 hours ago, Sherlock said:

I'm guessing Serenade might get you closest to what you need, but not without some (extensive) preparation. Out of the box it does not support Pascal or Delphi, but it is extendable via custom commands and plugins: https://serenade.ai/docs/

Thanks. It looks good. I guess I should have asked this question before I had the surgery as it would take me forever to write a plugin with one hand.

= Steve

11 hours ago, DiGi said:

That Serenade looks nice. But because Delphi is not directly supported:

You can try Windows native Text to speech - if it is supported in your language. Or for your needs maybe VoiceAttack could be simpler - to add basic hotkeys and scripts.

Thanks. I'm trying Voice Access in Windows 11 but I think it might be very difficult to get it to do what I want. Not sure about Voice Attack.

11 hours ago, Der schöne Günther said:

I have tried the Windows 10 built-in "speech to text" for a disabled person, just for dictating simple texts, and it is absolutely abysmal.

Meanwhile, Microsoft has acquired Nuance and its "Dragon" software, but I think its focus is nowhere on writing code by speech.

Dragon - The World's #1 Speech Recognition Software | Nuance UK

Thanks. Dragon is horrendously expensive. I wonder if Microsoft will bring the price down.