terran

Buggy auto-completion

Posted (edited)

When I press "(" on a long function, the list of parameters appears. When I hold the Right Arrow to highlight the next params, it disappears!

Too bad that my keyboard repeat speed is set too high! The Delphi cannot keep up with the cursor movement.

When I press "(" when text is selected, it inserts "(" ")" between the text. I tried to disable auto-parenthesis and auto-completion, but it does not help.

I press "(" inside selected symbol "(" in begin of a (already printed) function to open param list (i don't know how to open it), then my "(" should replace existing selected "(" and param list will be opened, and the Text will remain the same. I did it every time! Select the "(" in begin of a (already printed) function with Shift+Arrow, press "(" and you get the popup hint! Too stupid? But now in inserts the "(()"!

Please help! That's a bug!

Delphi 11.

Edited by terran

Posted (edited)

Good demo image.

If you haven't done so yet, create a minimal project that shows that behavior and report the bug in QA. Then, look at your code and remove the invalid compiler directives.

Personally I encounter the broken autocomplete multiple times per hour during development, but I am never able to reproduce the exact problem in minimal demo applications. The project is just too big and complicated to figure out what is borking it. Restarting Delphi usually fixes it, for a while, in most cases, but not all...

Edited by Brandon Staggs

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Brandon Staggs said:

Personally I encounter the broken autocomplete multiple times per hour during development

Agreed.  I'm constantly having to fight with the auto-complete, taking time to edit/undo what it generates.  Embarcadero should really focus more effort on this area.

Edited by Remy Lebeau
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

On a small projects, the hints (list of parameters) don't disappear. It lacks the performance of a PC and keyboard repeat speed.

It could collapse on a standard function like enddate:=EncodeDateTime(2022,8,11,0,0,0,0); but in a big project. Not that big. About 5k lines. It doesn't (dis)appear when keyboard repeat speed is set to slow.

where can it be reported (to) this thing? i have read that their quality portal has 'changed', and now it doesn't contain anything except a single page. where can i read existing reports? i have to report to a nowhere.

has anyone done this, and had a result?

Edited by terran

21 hours ago, terran said:

where can it be reported (to) this thing?

On the new portal, more info here.

it doesn't contain anything except a single page. where can i read existing reports?

The launch was far form ideal. At the beginning it was not possible to view other people's reports, but I think they have improved the site since then because existing reports by others are now visible.

has anyone done this, and had a result?

Well, on the old portal I submitted a total of 6 bugs of which 5 were resolved and one was related to a third-party component. Maybe I've been just lucky, because many people have their tickets open for years or closed as fixed when in reality the issue persists (as the submitter claims it). Report this anyway, and attaching a minimal project where the problem can be consistently reproduced will help them to quickly find a fix (to be delivered on the next release, if you're lucky).

• Like 1