Angus Robertson

Windows Defender Firewall always running?

Since I updated to Windows 10 1903 three weeks ago, some of my servers that use unusual ports have failed to start saying 'Another server is already listening on 192.168.1.124:1777' and similar.

There does not seem to be a problem listening on common ports, 21, 25, 80, 443, etc, but not 2100, 4443 etc. 

I have always had Windows firewall disabled since this is a development PC and I have lots of internet applications being developed. 

All the firewall dialogs I can find are red warning firewall is disabled.  But the Windows Defender Firewall service is running and can not be stopped, the options are greyed. 

I do actually have firewall rules set-up for some of the offending applications to listen on all ports.

So is nanny Microsoft fighting my choice to not use a firewall and running it anyway? 

I could probably change the registry setting to stop it running, but Microsoft might check that and start it anyway.

Anyone have silly problems on Windows 10 1903?

Angus

Resorted to regedit to disable the MpsSvc service, still started when set to manual, and now my applications are listening on all their strange ports again OK. 

So the Microsoft firewall is now running continually even when turned off according to all the dialogs.   Will need to warn my customers.

Angus

Exactly like that thread from a couple of years ago.  However the real issue here is it was not necessary until Windows 1903, and Windows internet applications that worked before may now fail.

Angus