MikeMon

The Overwrite Flag Has No Effect in the Deployment Screen

Hi

The overwrite flag in the "Deployment" screen doesn't seem to have any affect. The only way the existing files are overwritten is if the new file is newer then the existing file. Sometimes, we need to copy updated versions of databases or files with the launch of new app versions.

What we currently do during development is delete the app data and then uninstall the app, and THEN install the newer version.

Is there something I'm missing? Is there another way?

Kindly, advise

6 hours ago, MikeMon said:

The only way the existing files are overwritten is if the new file is newer then the existing file

Yes, as per the documentation:

http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Rio/en/Deployment_Manager

6 hours ago, MikeMon said:

Is there something I'm missing? Is there another way?

If you're running the app from the IDE, you could use the -cleaninstall option as described here:

http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Rio/en/Running_Your_Android_Application_on_an_Android_Device

8 hours ago, Dave Nottage said:

If you're running the app from the IDE, you could use the -cleaninstall option as described here:

http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Rio/en/Running_Your_Android_Application_on_an_Android_Device

Hi Dave

Thank you for your help again. How about when a user updates the app through the Play Store? is the old file overwritten by the new even if the new has an older date?

How about iOS? How does that work?

14 hours ago, MikeMon said:

How about when a user updates the app through the Play Store? is the old file overwritten by the new even if the new has an older date?

Good question. You could simulate this by transfering the APK to the device, and install it by opening it from whatever File Manager app is on the device.

14 hours ago, MikeMon said:

How about iOS? How does that work?

-cleaninstall is supposed to work for iOS also.

The file change date or even the size does not change anything - the file is not replaced. I do it so that I upload a new file, with a new name, and the constant declared in the program indicates the new file. The old file is simply deleted in the OnCreate data module. Works, that's what.

greetings,
Andrew

Hi Andrew

What I do is change the computer date to a future date, access the file so that its modified date changes to a future date, revert back to the current date and then install. That works fine. Not the best way, but it works. There should be an easier way. Obviously, everyone is using some sort of a workaround. There should be a 3rd value for the "Overwrite" flag: "Only if Newer". It should act like the "Always" acts now, and the "Always" should act like it says: ALWAYS overwrite.