Ramu

SMS Sending in Delphi in a generic way

Hi All,

I need to create a forms application, in a generic way, that needs to send messages(SMS). I browsed on the internet for this and I found that different SMS sending providers require different parameters. Could you please let me know if we can create a generic forms application, which consists of a few configurations such as username, password, URL, and number, to send messages?

Thanks and Regards,
Ramu

Hello,

Yes, I send SMS messages in one of my applications. A cell phone or modem that supports the AT command set is what I used. There is not an SMS protocol specification. If only sending messages most providers use the same commands. Receiving messages, clearing storage, etc., not all providers support those actions.

We tested with Nokia and Samsung phones. I know customers are using other MODEM brands with success.

Good luck,

Mark

Edited by Mark-

The Overbyte ICS library includes an TIcsSms component that uses REST to send SMS via two different British bureau with a pre-paid account , there is a demo project.  Adding further bureaus is not hard, although they have their own ideas about authentication, one uses name/pw, the other a JSON block.  ICS supports SMS Works at https://thesmsworks.co.uk/ which allows you to set the originating SMS address to anything you like, name or number which is cool. 

In the past I've used the Async Pro SMS component with an SMS modem connected by RS232 cable, had to modify the code to make it work properly,  but there are more things to configure, does not work from VMs, or data centres, etc. 

Angus

14 hours ago, Angus Robertson said:

allows you to set the originating SMS address to anything you like, name or number which is cool

O_o so you can send SMS as anybody, for example, "Bank of America" or "Interpol"?

so you can send SMS as anybody, for example, "Bank of America" or "Interpol"?

Yes, although I only send one message at a time, I'd hope the bureau has systems in place to stop bulk SMS from bad names.  The other bureau ICS supports offers the same for a price, but fixed for the account.  These places are how people fake SMS, but most commercial SMS comes with a name, not a number. 

Angus