Sign in to follow this  
Moreno

Migrating DBExpress to Firedac

Hello, 

our Company is migrating from DBExpress to FireDAC but we found a strange behavior.

In DBExpress we put in DBXConnections Characterset=UTF8 and everything was fine, now in FireDAC we did the same but the result of our query seems to ignore the characterset.

If we manually decode the results are ok, but it feel strange.

Are we missing something?

image.thumb.png.a84a5f571dd4dcb56afeadb47c02511a.pngimage.thumb.png.543af9b9fae8364c435e3cec7f193bd7.pngimage.thumb.png.0179dc4e982fd123b6588bf1cca2e3d6.png

I cannot see the part where FDQuery actually makes use of the pooled connection montetest.

I thought (i still think) that a DAC connection "charset" property is for creating a DB. When you open a DB, the (firebird) charset is read. If FireDAC is correct, the dfm setting when opening the DB should be overwritten with the DBs charset. HTH.

If we change the charset of the fields on the database the values are displayed well with FireDAC and DBX.

We tried to change characterset on FireDAC and nothing changed, probably it's just as you said, the charset is read from the database. 

if Firebird you can use "charset xxxx  collation zzzz " on:

• Create;
  • Column use (select, update, insert, order by, where... etc...) if necessary (it can be distinct of "create db/tables" definition"

more http://www.destructor.de/firebird/charsets.htm

Edited by Guest

Hi,

Suggestion : in the archive, don't put GDB file but a backup (fbk) of the database

Unfortunately, I have no Firebird 4 installed (well running to be clear)  to check 

MSWindows +10 had conflict with "GDB" file extension with Firebird

Yes but easy to override. GDB for MSWindows is sort of backup if in "MS folders". 
But, aware of that I effectively use fdb or fb extension for my databases