RTollison

best component of open save dialogs

I am needing to create a dll that will have options for opendialog and savedialog. I have the dll working but had a dev question. there are lots of open save dialogs available from different vendors. i have a TMS, DevExpress, Delphi and JV versions of the component. Anyone have any idea as to any type of advantage i might gain using any one in particular over the others. Down the road i might be looking to make some kind of as yet unknown changes. Figured i would ask in case anyone else has been down this road.

Maybe a different component altogether?

Use the standard system dialogs. They will work with any version of Windows and, most importantly, look and function like the users expect them to.

For example DevExpress have begun using their own custom dialogs in their skin editor and in their design-time editors and it's just horrible. The dialogs are skinned even though nothing else is, the usability sucks, lots of things just doesn't work and the usual explorer integration that comes for free with a standard system dialog doesn't work properly, etc. etc.

Is there any particular reason why you want to use a custom dialog?

1 hour ago, RTollison said:

Down the road i might be looking to make some kind of as yet unknown changes. Figured i would ask in case anyone else has been down this road.

Based on the visdom of fortune cookies and my magic crystal ball I foresee that your as of yet unknown changes will lead to as of yet unknown challenges. You're welcome.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2