DavidWW

Welcome Page - Edit Layout not working

Just a small cosmetic problem but still bugs me!

Just upgraded to 11.1 from 11.0 The Welcome page now has a (ugly IMHO) background image which I wanted to change. There is an Edit Layout button now which allows you to choose between Light, Dark, Mountain Mist and Custom background images - only it does not work. Whatever I change it to, the image stays the Light background and when I go back to the Layout options it's still Light. 

Is this a real bug or just me? 

Is there a way to force a change of the image? I can't find any obvious images that I could rename or replace.

After you change the background image, you need to save the dialog before selecting another theme.

Ahhh! So choosing the Background image has no effect. The image is set by the Theme Manager. This still seems like a a bug to me. The Edit Layout button takes you to an Options page where you can choose an image but that does not change anything. You have to go to the Theme Manager page in Options where you can choose a Theme (but still not change the background image, only the whole theme). 

No, you probably misunderstood. The Edit Layout offers an Options button, which takes you to the Welcome Page options page. There you can select a background image for each theme. You only have to make sure that when you change the image for one theme, you need to save this change before you start the process again to change the background for another theme. 

This has been reported already and closed as Works as expectedhttps://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-37883

I appreciate your help but *for my PC* changing the background image has no effect. the change is not saved. Changing the Theme does change the background image along with all the other colors on the Welcome page. 

To reiterate what Uwe is saying, let's take an example. I have my theme set to Dark. I go into Options and set a custom background for the Light theme, save twice, and I'm back to the Welcome screen where my dark theme's background is unchanged. But when I switch to the Light theme, there's my new background.

You're saying this does not work for you?

Oh, OK *that* changed it -  but am I just thick or is that a ridiculously convoluted and unintuitive way to change the background?  Selecting Edit Layout on the Welcome page takes you to the Welcome Page options where you can change the background image for any of the Themes - except the one you are using?!?! 

And another small gripe - if you change the image to something else, there is no way to get the default background image back. Not really a problem, any Wallpaper image will do, but as there is a Restore default layout button I would have expected that to have restored the image as well.

Well, they could've limited it to edit only the currently selected theme. That might have been a little less confusing but it would be tedious if you wanted to configure several different themes at once--you'd have edit options for one theme, save, go switch your theme, then go back into the options and configure the next theme. What the "Edit Layout" does is simply take you to the Welcome Page section of the Tools > Options page where you can set a custom background for each theme all before leaving the Options. (And you can get there, of course, without even clicking the "Edit Layout" link from the Welcome Page.) Thinking about it from that perspective makes sense (to me).

To find the original background images, you can click Load... on one of the themes where you haven't yet changed the background theme, then look at the File Name box; the filename of the currently selected background is shown there. On my system, that folder is C:\ProgramData\Embarcadero\BDS\22.0\Background images.

Ok, I suppose I'm just thick :classic_rolleyes: It sort-of makes sense once you know what is going on but it really confused me at first. Sometimes I wonder why they let me write programs!

Thanks for your patience and explanations.