Incus J

Association of Software Professionals & PAD files

I’m perhaps a bit late with this observation, but notice that the Association of Software Professionals organisation (formerly Association of Shareware Professionals) was dissolved at the end of 2021 - and the PAD 4.0 file specification released to the public domain in January 2022.

I was never a member of the ASP, but used PAD 3.11 files to publish information about my software online for years.  Kind of parted company when PAD 4.0 migrated everything behind closed doors.

I still maintain PAD 3.11 files for some software, in case any download sites still poll them for updates.

Just wondered what people’s thoughts were, and what any modern alternative to PAD files might be these days?

On 9/28/2022 at 6:15 AM, Incus J said:

Just wondered what people’s thoughts were, and what any modern alternative to PAD files might be these days?

IMO, the modern alternative is a decent website. I was a member of the ASP and even sat on its Board for two years. Like PAD, it served its purpose and is now completely obsolete. Honestly, if I could take down every single file download site listing of my software, I would. People find your software with search engines, not download sites. Today, download sites exist to siphon visitors away from direct sources so they can shovel borderline malware at visitors with useless file download and scanner tools, etc.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply.  

On 10/11/2022 at 8:13 PM, Brandon Staggs said:

IMO, the modern alternative is a decent website.

Yes - even in the hey day of PAD files and download sites I felt a good website was a requisite.

I did feel many download sites flushed away their reputation over night when they began wrapping programs in dubious installers and bundles, without permission.  I ended up adding a clause to my license agreement to the effect of "you can distribute this so long as you don't wrap it in anything".

I still think a browsable library of software is useful when looking for software to do task x.  More focussed than search engines, which can seem fickle in what they surface.  A small developer may have a little gem of a program, but not necessarily SEO too.  With a library there's usually a few contenders to try out.  I guess that's App stores now!

On 10/11/2022 at 3:13 PM, Brandon Staggs said:

Today, download sites exist to siphon visitors away from direct sources so they can shovel borderline malware at visitors with useless file download and scanner tools, etc.

Where else am I going to get my copy of Bonzi Buddy???

index.jpeg

Edited by Joseph MItzen
  • Haha 1