Sign in to follow this  
DJof SD

Sweet 16: Delphi/Object Pascal

For me Assembly language makes no sense. I wonder in 2022 who is still coding using asm (I doubt it's used widely in windows applications).

2 hours ago, Lajos Juhász said:

I wonder in 2022 who is still coding using asm

People who write low-level code where performance is important.

2 hours ago, Lajos Juhász said:

(I doubt it's used widely in windows applications)

If by "widely used" you mean "used by most" then no. But then it never was.

"Most people" wouldn't know how to create the tools or write the libraries that they use, but someone has to do it.

Even if you don't have a need to write assembler, knowledge of it makes you a better developer because it gives you a deeper understanding of what's going on and why. The same goes for hardware.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Anders Melander said:

Even if you don't have a need to write assembler, knowledge of it makes you a better developer because it gives you a deeper understanding of what's going on and why. The same goes for hardware.

I wrote that in context that Asm has more than twice the rating of Delphi.  I simply cannot believe that's true. 

3 hours ago, Lajos Juhász said:

I wrote that in context that Asm has more than twice the rating of Delphi.  I simply cannot believe that's true. 

I see. Well, assembler is used with many different languages: Delphi, C, C++, etc, so that sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I would actually expect it to have a higher ranking than twice that of Delphi.

FWIW, I just tried searching github for "eax" in the Pascal, C and C++ file types:

• pas: 41,053 files, inc: 61,659 files
  • c: 5,930,801 files, h: 3,686,546 files
  • cpp: 499,900 files, hpp: 74,991 files

According to the search, there are a total of 2,245,735 pas files on Github, so 1.8% of the Pascal files (.pas) contain assembler. There are 1,098,004,054 c files, so 0.5% of those contain assembler.

If the file count is representative of the TIOBE ranking (it's not), then the above suggests that assembler is approximately 5 times more used than Pascal.

All these stats are of course completely bogus because the numbers don't take file/repo duplicates, abandoned, or archived content into account.