David Schwartz

need help accessing XData service inside of a Win10 VM on Mac host

I have a VirtualBox VM running Win10 that is my Delphi dev environment. It runs on my Mac. The VM networking is using Bridging.

I have an XData service that I can access within the VM using localhost. I have a port and root folder opened up in the firewall (using the TMS app to do that).

I want to start testing it remotely. I tried to get it to run on an external Win VPS, with no luck. Not sure why.

So I though I'd see if I can access it simply from the host environment outside of the VM. The IP of the VM seems to be 192.168.12.168 with the Gateway at 192.168.12.1.

I can ping the gateway and it responds as expected.

But pinging the .12.168 IP just gets me timeouts.

I'm not sure where to go from here.

Suggestions are invited. 🙂

I also have a Mac and develop with Delphi in a Parallels VM inside it. I run XData servers in Windows and access them from Mac. There is not much different to do besides network configuration: properly configure your Windows Firewall to accept incoming requests, and making sure the VM is accessible from the Mac with the correct IP.

I use Shared Network in Parallels, not bridged, but I also had not a problem when I used bridged. I believe you will have to dig more into your network configuration. Also try to temporarily disable the Windows Firewall to see if you have configured it properly.

Does the TMS HTTP Config tool handle everything needed for dealing with the Windows firewall? (Do I even need the firewall running inside of the VM?)

I have the XData service set to watch on http://+:80/xyz and added an entry in the HTTP Config tool for that. Is there more that might be needed?

From what I have read, Bridged mode on VirtualBox is the recommended way of accessing something inside of the VM from the outside. They say NATting will work but requires jumping through hoops.

My remote VPS is another story...

Obviously something isn't configured propertly in both instances, but I'm just unclear how many layers of things are present and how to figure which one(s) may not be working properly.

Edited by David Schwartz

44 minutes ago, David Schwartz said:

Does the TMS HTTP Config tool handle everything needed for dealing with the Windows firewall? (Do I even need the firewall running inside of the VM?)

No.

I have the XData service set to watch on http://+:80/xyz and added an entry in the HTTP Config tool for that. Is there more that might be needed?

You have to be sure your computer is accessible from outside - if you want to access it from outside. This is your config and out of scope for the http config tool.

Well, I want to be able to reach into the service inside of the VM.

I also want to be able to access the service running on the VPS server hosted elsewhere.

Is there anything that discusses this subject anywhere?