alank2

SHGetSpecialFolderLocation in FireMonkey

I am trying to get the programdata folder.  I've been using:

cppbuilder 10.3.3

LPITEMIDLIST pidl

SHGetSpecialFolderLocation(NULL, CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA, &pidl)

SHGetPathFromIDListW(pidl, APath)

This works fine in a VCL application, but a FireMonkey application, none of it is recognized.

I tried to include <shlobj_core.h>, but this gives 1500+ warnings about the below and then fails.

[bcc32 Warning] shobjidl_core.h(26477): W8026 Functions with exception specifications are not expanded inline
  Full parser context
    mycode.cpp(33): #include c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\include\windows\sdk\shlobj_core.h
    shlobj_core.h(86): #include c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\include\windows\sdk\shobjidl_core.h
    shobjidl_core.h(26477): decision to instantiate: ACTIVATEOPTIONS |(ACTIVATEOPTIONS,ACTIVATEOPTIONS) throw()
    --- Resetting parser context for instantiation...

I was using this function because this code has to run on some older compilers, but if I can't get it to work I can use something else.

30 minutes ago, alank2 said:

LPITEMIDLIST pidl

SHGetSpecialFolderLocation(NULL, CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA, &pidl)

SHGetPathFromIDListW(pidl, APath)

This works fine in a VCL application, but a FireMonkey application, none of it is recognized.

Correct, since FMX is cross-platform, but you are trying to use platform-specific code.  So, you will have to #ifdef your code for Windows, and then #include the relevant header files, in this case <windows.h> and <shlobj.h> (NOT <shlobj_core.h> directly).

Also, FYI, SHGetSpecialFolderLocation() is very old, so you should be using SHGetFolderPathW() instead, or even SHGetKnownFolderPath().

[bcc32 Warning] shobjidl_core.h(26477): W8026 Functions with exception specifications are not expanded inline

That is just a warning. Ignore it, and or turn it off in the compiler settings.

I was using this function because this code has to run on some older compilers

SHGetFolderPath() was introduced in Windows 2000.  Any old compiler that doesn't recognize it is too old to support FireMonkey anyway.

• Like 1

Thank you - I disabled the warnings and that did solve the problem:

#pragma warn -8026
#pragma warn -8027
#include <shlobj_core.h>
#pragma warn .8027
#pragma warn .8026

I like that better than my other approach.