David Schwartz

Delphi's __recovery folder

I spent an hour on some form design work in Delphi (10.4.2) and then at one point where I started to select several objects on a form holding down the Shift key, it went out-to-lunch. I had to kill it from the Task Manager.

I noticed the files for the form I had been working on were in the __recovery folder.

But when I reopened Delphi, it showed an hour-old version of the form. I went to the Explorer window that showed the form files, and tried to copy them, but I got an error saying they weren't there. I refreshed the display and they were gone. I even tried to use an app to undelete files, but they were gone.

How is this thing supposed to work? I've had it recover files in the past, where it opens a project then asks if I want to recover a file or two, but in this case it never asked. It seems to have just deleted the contents of the __recovery folder.

Edited by David Schwartz

double click on Recovery list and choice last-saved changes... you can choice "discart or not" when closing window

tip: look the time used for save changes (backups)

https://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Sydney/en/Saving_and_Desktop

it's possible that the file be overrided when discarted, then no chance to undelete... or be a 'symbolic link' to real folder used.

Edited by programmerdelphi2k

If you have history turned on, you can find it there.