Navid Madani

Adding macOS directory path crashing IDE (RAD Studio 11.3, Windows 11 ARM, Apple Silicon, Parallels)

Hi:

I am using RAD Studio 11.3 on Windows ARM running on Apple Silicon/macOS Ventura via Parallels. I am trying to set up my custom packages (mostly written by myself) that under Windows are in the Documents/Embarcadero/Studio/ subdirectory. Parallels conveniently shares the home directory between Windows and macOS that makes sharing common files (Lisp, C, Python, Delphi) easier. Can anyone confirm that with a setup like mine, adding a library path to

Tools → Options... → Language → Delphi → Library → Browsing Path

such as:

\\Mac\Home\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\Virtual-TreeView

causes the IDE to choke and need to be shut down via task manager?

Many thanks to everyone in this great community!

Edited by Navid Madani

The IDE certainly scans the various library path directories a lot and when it does so the performance probably tanks with a Parallels shared home directory vs a real directory. Same thing happens for invalid paths - the IDE spends a lot of time waiting / working to the point it feels like it has locked up. This applies to a lot of virtual / network / shared directories that end up having  a lot of access calls - they will perform very poorly compared to local files on a native file system.

Thank you for your post. The problem does not appear to be related to performance when scanning a shared Parallels directory. The performance when building large projects saved on the shared home directory is comparable to native Windows machines with i-9 processors and SSD drives. I think the problem lies in that the IDE does not recognize the shared directory browsing path at all.