Davide Visconti

Project Configuration Manager

Does anybody suggest me how to develop an IDE tool to support the developers when they start a new project? ...I will try to explain what I mean.

We have a framework that usually is a starting point for the new applications, I'd like to develop an "IDE Wizard" where the developers can choose the group of units that they want to use.

Eg:

VISION.Graphics.ImageView

VISION.Graphics.Roi

VISION.Credential.User

VISION.Camera.Matrix.Vimba

VISION.Input

VISION.Plc.Siemens

These "IDE Wizard" build a new project with all the necessary units.

Thanks for any suggestions, documentation, code snippet, how to, ...

This is the kind of problem the IDE's repository was created for. You do not need a wizard for this, just create a template project to serve as the starting point for new projects, and add it to the repository. It is then available in the repository dialog (File -> New -> Others), pick it, immediately do a file -> save project as and start to work on it. For teams of several developers a shared repository can be created on a network path.

If that is not flexible enough for your purpose I would not create a IDE wizard for this task but a stand-alone program you can tie into the Tools menu as an external helper program. This way the tool is not specific to a particular RAD Studio version, you do not run the risk of destabilizing the IDE due to errors in using the (poorly documented) OpenTools API, and it is easier to maintain. The tool would simply ask for a new folder for the project to create and then create the required files to start with there.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, PeterBelow said:

This is the kind of problem the IDE's repository was created for. You do not need a wizard for this, just create a template project to serve as the starting point for new projects, and add it to the repository. It is then available in the repository dialog (File -> New -> Others), pick it, immediately do a file -> save project as and start to work on it. For teams of several developers a shared repository can be created on a network path.

Thanks Peter for the suggestion but the applications could use different units, for example:

Application 1 use these units:

VISION.Plc.Siemens

Application 2 use these units:

VISION.Camera.Matrix.Dalsa

VISION.Plc.Beckhoff

Application 3 use these units:

VISION.Plc.Beckhoff

As you see, the the combinations can be very different, so IMHO the repo wouldn't be the right way.

Thanks for the suggestion about the Tool menu.