Blavatsky

Paradox 7 >>> Firebird 3 DATA transfer

Hi,
I have a Paradox 7 Database table with about 82 000 entries.
I can open the Paradox Table in Delphi 11 project and I would like to transfer data from Paradox to Firebird.

I still use the old Paradox 7 - Delphi 5 program and hence the need to update the Firebird database.
Until I make the final jump to Firebird for good and finish making a UNICODE version I will need to be able to do DATA TRANSFER.

I wish to empty ( with a button click) my target Firebird table either Firebird 3 or Firebird 4
and then I wish to transfer /batchmove 82000 entries from source Paradox 7 database  table to target Firebird database,
any pointers ?

This might seem like a silly question but can you run Firebird 3 (32 bit ) and Firebird 4 ( 32 bit) at the same time
on windows 10 ?

Edited by Blavatsky

9 minutes ago, Blavatsky said:

This might seem like a silly question but can you run Firebird 3 (32 bit ) and Firebird 4 ( 32 bit) at the same time
on windows 10 ?

Yes! See  Help

It doesn't matter at all the number of entries. What matters is the number of tables. How many do you have? Can you export them to csv? I don't recommend Excel. It has a limited number of rows!

Depending on a structure, it could be simpler to write the transfer by yourself. Just query from source, copy to dest query, next record.

There is also FDBatchMove component

Edited by Fr0sT.Brutal
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Blavatsky said:

Yes, you have to change port in firebird conf  for one of your Firebird version
image.thumb.png.261de8c25fc1a817aa983aea9c619269.png

Here my w10 workstation with default FB3 and FB4 possibility.

20 hours ago, Blavatsky said:

I wish to transfer /batchmove 82000 entries from source Paradox 7 database  table to target Firebird database,

Very easy with FDBatchmove, but take care of the capacities of Firebird and optimize your table structure

I found this video to get started with FDBatchMove:-
Question: If this fellow uses MS SQL SERVER in his demo, Does that mean I need to obtain a copy of MS SQL SERVER ?
I was hoping to do things on the cheap.
I was trying to replicate everything he did on my system,... looks like that,  MSSQL, is not going to work on my system.
Maybe I will have to try again with FireBird 3.
Are there any free GUI's for Firebird 3 ?

Import Data From Text To Database and Vice Versa by FireDAC Delphi English

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qdmECIsOUM

Edited by Blavatsky

On 8/10/2023 at 12:19 PM, Stano said:

Yes! See  Help

It doesn't matter at all the number of entries. What matters is the number of tables. How many do you have? Can you export them to csv? I don't recommend Excel. It has a limited number of rows!

Can you divulge the state secrets in question?
Plus: is this a one-off thing?
The answer depends on whether I offer to help you.

My Initial Project will contain one Table - Dictionary
My Final Project will contain two Tables - Dictionary; Words. (words will be populated by a DELPHI COMPONENT,
it's a TEXT SEARCH ENGINE COMPONENT called HREF Rubicon v4.
I have used the Rubicon2 in my old ANSI text DB project with Delphi-5 and JWrite ( specially customised for my project) text window component. It's a DUAL Text Editor for Translators. eg French >>> English
JWrite has not moved to Unicode Version. So, I am hoping TRichView [which is Unicode] Text window Delphi Component will be an adequate replacement for JWrite, for the task.

I didn't know about that. Just out of curiosity two things. If you know. Does have it:

1. Visual Query Builder
  2. Import data
Edited by Stano

7 minutes ago, Stano said:

I didn't know about that. Just out of curiosity two things. If you know. Does have it:

1. Visual Query Builder
  2. Import data

I saw a datapump feature. I could not get it to work with my database (Firebird) maybe my version is corrupt or too early ? I originally used MigrationNET to convert .mdb to .fdb so that might explain why my .fdb file version does not work.

Edited by Blavatsky

What did you create the DB in? It doesn't have an import?
Interesting that you can't answer 2 simple questions :classic_rolleyes: I wanted to save you the trouble :classic_smile:

Edited by Stano

7 hours ago, Stano said:
  1. What about csv?
  2. So a one-off action?

I still use my old ANSI - DB-TEXT EDITOR IN DELPHI-5 ( NOT COMPILEABLE ON DELPHI 11) FOR ADDING FRENCH-ENGLISH PAIRS.
SO, UNTIL I GET THE UNICODE VERSION WORKING IT IS NOT A ONE-OFF

Edited by Blavatsky

1 hour ago, Stano said:

What did you create the DB in? It doesn't have an import?
Interesting that you can't answer 2 simple questions :classic_rolleyes: I wanted to save you the trouble :classic_smile:

PARADOX 7
DOES NOT WORK IN WIN 10
I LIKE TO LEARN AND SHARE
MAKING A CUSTOMISED DATAPUMP USING FDBatchmove seems like my best solution.

I also found FlameRobin server with GUI for FireBird databases upto version 4 I think
scroll to bottom of page ASSETs for win32 and win64 downloads

https://github.com/mariuz/flamerobin/releases/tag/0.9.7

found this Java DB csv  import DATAPUMP as well

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dbcsvimport/

Edited by Blavatsky

Good. So, for the last time :classic_wink:

• If you send me your DB FB v.4 and csv file so:
  • I'll get it into the DB
  • you can build a new unicode application
  • when it's working, I'll make you a new import

From this perspective it is a one time action. I would rather spend that time on application development :classic_biggrin:
Let me know.

Note: I own a very high quality DB manager DB Workbench v. 6. I appreciate it very much.

15 hours ago, Stano said:

Good. So, for the last time :classic_wink:

• If you send me your DB FB v.4 and csv file so:
  • I'll get it into the DB
  • you can build a new unicode application
  • when it's working, I'll make you a new import

From this perspective it is a one time action. I would rather spend that time on application development :classic_biggrin:
Let me know.

Note: I own a very high quality DB manager DB Workbench v. 6. I appreciate it very much.

Thanks for the KIND OFFER Stan.
But, I am  not about speed, learning and teaching is where I am at, at the moment.
Thanks
B