Steve Maughan

EXE Speeds: Delphi vs. FPC?

I've used Delphi since it was launched in 1995 and never explored the FPC. Now I'm tinkering on developing a chess engine. For this I'd like the EXE to be as fast as possible. I assume Delphi produces faster EXEs than FPC. Is this correct? I Googled around and the only posts were 10+ years old. They implied Delphi was faster — sometimes by quite a bit.  Has anything changed?

— Steve 

2 hours ago, Steve Maughan said:

I've used Delphi since it was launched in 1995 and never explored the FPC. Now I'm tinkering on developing a chess engine. For this I'd like the EXE to be as fast as possible.

I'm sure either one will be fast enough for your needs.  Chess isn't very computationally heavy.

2 hours ago, Steve Maughan said:

I assume Delphi produces faster EXEs than FPC. Is this correct? I Googled around and the only posts were 10+ years old. They implied Delphi was faster — sometimes by quite a bit.  Has anything changed?

The only way to know for sure is to benchmark them yourself and see which one suits your needs better.

...Chess isn't very computationally heavy....

I can't tell if you're joking or not. There are not many tasks more computationally intensive than chess.

Of course I'll benchmark but just wanted to know if anyone had any broad-brush insights that could save me some time.

Thanks,

Steve

8 hours ago, Remy Lebeau said:

I'm sure either one will be fast enough for your needs.  Chess isn't very computationally heavy.

I'm baffled. Both of these statements are wrong. 

Delphi is known to be produce very poor and inefficient code. Although I'm not qualified to comment on FPC's code gen. 

Edited by David Heffernan
  • Thanks 1