Lars Geisler

Win 64 debugger not working

Hi, my first post here. Sorry if this is not the right place, but i feel this is something that should be stated somewhere for others to find.

I am running the small danish company Carsoft. We make a quit successful system, called Carsoft Planner for auto workshops, in Delphi.

For years I have had the problem, that the main product was debugging fine, but smaller stuff would simply not debug in 64 bit mode!

I have googled for hours and tried everything i found - setting firewall, changing all the different paths etc. etc.

Now I am in the process of moving Delphi and all my sources to a brand new computer, and a brand new Windows 11.

So I installed Delphi 12, moved the sources, and made a very small project "Hello world", just a button and a Showmessage. Put a breakpoint, Pressed F9 and no succes. Breakpoint not found!

More googling etc.

Finally i found a post somewhere mentioning use of non ascii characters in paths.

In Denmark we have three extra letter "æøå" and i have used one of these in the folder name for my "small stuff".

Changing my folder name solved the problem completely, everything now works as it should.

This might be a well known fact around the world, but I have seen other having the same problem, with no solution, so my hope is this post can help.

Best regards

Lars

• Thanks 3

14 hours ago, David Heffernan said:

Seven year old bug??? 

I haven't tested it, but it certainly appears so.

The problem is that this RMS, does not show up in google search. So I didn't find it.

I have just been doing a little test - this post shows up much earlier when searching for Delphi -  debug -  64 bit and other combinations, so my mission has been accomplished 🙂