Sign in to follow this  
ewong

BDE Installing

Hi,

Having finally gotten a new computer, I installed Delphi 12.0 and am in the process of installing my other packages.  I installed BDEInstall for Delphi 12.0, but I am having trouble finding the BDE components. Now thinking about it, I suspect the BDEInstall for 12.0 *isn't* the BDE components install but the BDEAdmin install.

I searched the web and came across a Delphi-Praxis link that states the BDE Components can be found in my.embarcadero.com.  I don't see the BDEComp install anywhere.

Can someone clarify where it is?   I even searched https://cc.embarcadero.com/results.aspx?keywords=bde  but getting Gateway timeout errors.

Thanks

Ed

Nevermind...  apparently it was supposed to be in the bin/ directory of Delphi.

Sorry for the noise.

Ed

Some still get by with a simple multiuser shared file database like Paradox through the BDE. The popularity of SQLite shows simple databases are still popular and BDE/Paradox fits that niche as well with more data types and multiuser support. 

20 hours ago, haentschman said:

Why BDE with D12? :classic_blink:

Company is still using Dbase and I wish to move to SQL.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

You can move to FireDAC while still using DBase.  I know, not your goal - but at least you would have made the first step.

https://blogs.embarcadero.com/firedac-odbc-for-paradox-and-dbase-tables/

The Microsoft ODBC support for Paradox and dBase always seemed to be more for data extraction than full database use.  Useful to pull data for reports or when migrating to a different database but not to replace the BDE for a production application. Data dictionary changes and database maintenance are two weak areas.  

During a migration of a single user application from Visual dBase (16 bit, used the BDE) to Delphi + Flash Filer we used a third-party library to access the DBF files for migration purposes instead of the Microsoft ODBC solution. Fewer dependencies on what a user had installed locally meant fewer support issues. (was SoftSci's  TOPAZ (softsci.com))

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brian Evans said:

more for data extraction than full database use

Good info, Brian!