Sign in to follow this  
shineworld

Syndey and Athens in same PC

Hi all.
For someone could be a silly question but important for me.
Today I've purchased Athens, and usually I work with Sydney.

I have a lot of very big projects made with Sydney and moving them to Athens will be a long path ( a lot of 3rd parties libraries to install).
Can I install Athens on the same PC where Sydney works ?
If YES, are there some types of attention to be kept?

At the moment I've also Code Gear RAD Studio 2007 for very old projects not ported to Sydney which live without problems with Sydney. 

34 minutes ago, shineworld said:

I have a lot of very big projects made with Sydney and moving them to Athens will be a long path ( a lot of 3rd parties libraries to install).

You can install all main versions of Delphi in parallel. Since Delphi 10.4 (Sydney) and Delphi 12 (Athens) are both main versions, you are fine.

Note though, that Delphi 12 will register itself for opening all Delphi related files so double clicking on a project will open it in Delphi 12 which might not be what you want.

(All 10.x Versions (10.0 .. 10.4) were main versions, 10.x.y versions were updates to 10.x. Fortunately Embarcadero has stopped this silly numbering scheme now, but we have to live with that legacy.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shineworld said:

Hi all.
For someone could be a silly question but important for me.
Today I've purchased Athens, and usually I work with Sydney.

At the moment I've also Code Gear RAD Studio 2007 for very old projects not ported to Sydney which live without problems with Sydney. 

You can install major versions in parallel but there is one known problem with D11 and D12 if you use certain IDE add-ins (Parnassus bookmarks and one other) due to a naming conflict in some DLLs they use. See here.

• Like 1