Magnus

How to upgrade to Delphi 12?

Hi,

it might be a simple question but still it seems Embarcadero has not covered this in the manual.

What is the correct procedure to upgrade from 11.3 to 12 while keeping settings and add-ons (e.g. install the add-ons in their required release)?

When i upgraded from 10 to 11 it took quite some time to reconfigure my system 😞

It's a completely separate installation and not binary compatible with previous IDE packages. I believe there is a settings transfer tool of some kind but I don't trust it and setting font size and color is not exactly the most time consuming part of the process so I don't bother with it.

5 hours ago, Magnus said:

What is the correct procedure to upgrade from 11.3 to 12 while keeping settings and add-ons (e.g. install the add-ons in their required release)?

You don't "upgrade" the IDE, you install 12 in addition to 11.3; later, when 12 is stable and you've moved all your projects over and no longer use 11.3, then uninstall 11.3.

As for the settings, it shouldn't take long to set them up--unless you select every single option to a non-default value. If there's a settings transfer tool, I don't know about it as it was never that much of a bother for me. If you customize all the colors, I'm sure you know about the IDE Theme Editor.

The only time-consuming part is if you have several GetIt packages (e.g. styles or sample projects or libraries). That can take awhile--which is why I wrote AutoGetIt.