Tsagoth

Delphi 12 requires missing DLL on Server 2008

Porting and building new binaries with Delphi 12. Upon copying them to a Server 2008 instance, some but not all of the new binaries fail because Windows is missing some string.l1.crt dll. What is odd is that all of binaries work on Windows 7 Enterprise. I thought Win 7 and Server basically the same codebase under the hood, so not sure why Server 2008 has an issue. Tried install a service pack from Microsoft that was supposed to install the missing update which includes the missing dll, but the package says it's not for that version of Windows, despite the KB article specifically saying it's for Server 2008 R2.

Only thing I can think of at this point is to downgrade and go back to either D11 or D10. I'm not sure when the problem might have first manifested, I haven't used the Server 2008 R2 vm in a very long time for testing. I've tried copying/installing the missing dll in any number of ways but I always get the message.

missdll.jpg

The service pack doesn't include the DLL. The universal C runtime does which for Server 2008 R2 needs to have Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1) installed. 

Update for Universal C Runtime in Windows - Microsoft Support

Also Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 are different operating systems analogous to Windows Vista and Windows 7 on the desktop. Service packs and updates for each are not interchangeable.

There is also an App-local deployment of the Universal CRT available (so just DLLs in your executable directory). Described/mentioned in the articles linked below.

Introducing the Universal CRT - C++ Team Blog (microsoft.com)

Universal CRT deployment | Microsoft Learn

Edited by Brian Evans

5 hours ago, Tsagoth said:

Porting and building new binaries with Delphi 12. Upon copying them to a Server 2008 instance,...

Delphi 12 does not support Server 2008 or 2008 R2 as a deployment platform. The minimum supported Server version is 2019.

5 hours ago, Tsagoth said:

What is odd is that all of binaries work on Windows 7 Enterprise.

Because Window 7 (SP1+) is a supported deployment platform.

See: https://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Athens/en/Supported_Target_Platforms

Edited by Remy Lebeau

Thanks guys. I guess I will just have to give up on the Server 2008 R2 platform, I can't find a way to install anything that's required. The SDK fails because some IsWow64 call fails, not fund in Kernel32.DLL and the CRT package still fails even after getting the SP1 prereq installed. We're using Server 2019 at AWS so we're hopefully good for a while there, and as long as I have Win7 and Win10 at home for testing it's all good.

1 hour ago, Tsagoth said:

The SDK fails because some IsWow64 call fails, not fund in Kernel32.DLL

In Server version WOW64 is disable lot of times. You must use "dism" tools to enable it.

I have no refer to Microsoft doc, but you can try these if you know what you are doing:

dism /online /get-features /format:table

You should see a long textual table with the features active in your server, the WOW64 features should be like this if disabled:

ServerCore-WOW64    : Disabled

If you want enable it, do this:

dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:ServerCore-WOW64

Hope to help you

Edited by DelphiUdIT

2 hours ago, DelphiUdIT said:

In Server version WOW64 is disable lot of times. You must use "dism" tools to enable it.

I have no refer to Microsoft doc, but you can try these if you know what you are doing:

dism /online /get-features /format:table

You should see a long textual table with the features active in your server, the WOW64 features should be like this if disabled:

ServerCore-WOW64    : Disabled

If you want enable it, do this:

dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:ServerCore-WOW64

Hope to help you

I tried that but didn't see the feature. So I tried enabling it anyway, but got this:

wow64.jpg

I cannot help more than this, it's a lot of times that I don't work with Windows Server.

Edited by DelphiUdIT

On 1/26/2024 at 4:20 AM, Tsagoth said:

Windows is missing some string.l1.crt dll

I have very simple question, why your Delphi built application asking for Microsoft CRT library ? CRT= "C RunTime" not "Common RunTime" !

I see there is Chilkat library in the folder, so either

1) Chilkat is the offensive one, in this case you contact them for a fix or replacement, all CRT can be built and linked statically removing the need for the external libraries.

2) Something else does need it, in this case you included/linked some code/library that need CRT, again find it and replace it may be.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kas Ob. said:

I have very simple question, why your Delphi built application asking for Microsoft CRT library ? CRT= "C RunTime" not "Common RunTime" !

I see there is Chilkat library in the folder, so either

1) Chilkat is the offensive one, in this case you contact them for a fix or replacement, all CRT can be built and linked statically removing the need for the external libraries.

2) Something else does need it, in this case you included/linked some code/library that need CRT, again find it and replace it may be.

I don't know why the DLL is required. Presumably it is included as a requirement for the Delphi Runtime Library. None of my code, or anything in the Chilkat library requires its use. I need the Chilkat library for some cryptographic and email functions. Other applications I have built using the Chilkat DLL don't have this issue. It appears to be limited to the use of Delphi 12. 

I appreciate all the help, but I think in this case, the solution is to drop Server 2008 R2 as a viable target platform.