PeterPanettone

David Hoyle's 3rd Party IDE Help in Delphi 12?

David Hoyle has made a 3rd Party IDE Help Delphi plugin:

https://github.com/DGH2112/3rd-Party-IDE-Help

The Readme says: "This is a RAD Studio wizard/expert/plug-in that allows you to easily configure 3rd-party HTML files for use with the IDE to get context-sensitive help for 3rd party code. It also provides quick access to these files."

The ReadMe also says: "To configure the 3rd party help, open the IDE's Options dialogue and look under the 3rd Party node for an options page entitled "3rd Party Help"."

I have compiled the project in Delphi 12, and it created TPIDEHelpRS120.dll. I copied TPIDEHelpRS120.dll to C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\23.0\bin\ and restarted the Delphi 12 IDE.

However, this 3rd Party node cannot be found in the Delphi 12 IDE Options:

image.png.aa1c5993783cc123a3d46d3bd4a8e4b6.png 

How do you install this plugin in Delphi 12?

Since the project creates a dll, my guess would be that you need an entry in the registry for the IDE to load it. Maybe use a tool like the GExperts expert manager (or the one from David Hoyle you just posted about) to create that entry?

1 minute ago, dummzeuch said:

Since the project creates a dll, my guess would be that you need an entry in the registry for the IDE to load it. Maybe use a tool like the GExperts expert manager (or the one from David Hoyle you just posted about) to create that entry?

Good idea! I will try it.

I have added the ImageEn CHM help file. Unfortunately, the F1 context-sensitive help does not work with ImageEn. It always opens the help for Vcl.Controls.TCustomControl instead:

image.thumb.png.bf7ceeb8e8143f71ac4909d4f59ef307.png

Perhaps a specific index file for the ImageEn CHM help file is missing?

Edited by PeterPanettone

5 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

How do you install this plugin in Delphi 12? 

I always use RegEdit, check out: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Embarcadero\BDS\23.0\Experts

22 minutes ago, FredS said:

I always use RegEdit, check out: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Embarcadero\BDS\23.0\Experts

Yes, it could be done in RegEdit. However, I find it more comfortable to do it in one of the tools mentioned by Thomas: GExperts expert manager or Expert and Package Manager for multiple RAD Studio IDEs from David Hoyle.

This is the entry in the Registry:

image.thumb.png.3fcad9836e1967d30a273efa8a4ab1ef.png 

Edited by PeterPanettone