Tom F

12.1 requiring me to uninstall 12.0?

I hate to ask it because I've seen it asked for years and years. And, now I'm asking it ... again.  And, believe me, I've looked and look in the EMB docs online and elsewhere and can't find an answer.

When would the installer require me to uninstall 12, as shown below?  This happens on the ISO as well as the web installer.

Is this typical behavior?

image.thumb.png.18517862b129b55d9a24647d69e13fe1.png

I wanted to add that despite many tries over the years, the migration assistant has never worked for me, even the new and "improved" ones provided occassionally.

Perhaps  if I select to Uninstall on the above screen, The assistant asks if I want to back up settings so I can re-apply them in 12.1?

Just answer No to the question "Do you want to remove all RAD Studio 12 entries from your registry?" and you should be fine (depending on your definition of "fine").

The Delphi installer has always been a case study in poor usability. This time it took me 4 tries before I got everything I wanted installed.

First time I forgot to change the install location. I do this pretty much every other time.

Second time I installed Android platform support but didn't select to also install the (apparently required) JDK.

Third time I discovered that since didn't explicitly select to install Windows platform support, I only got the 32-bit compiler.

1 minute ago, Anders Melander said:

Just answer No to the question "Do you want to remove all RAD Studio 12 entries from your registry?" and you should be fine (depending on your definition of "fine").

The Delphi installer has always been a case study in poor usability. This time it took me 4 tries before I got everything I wanted installed.

First time I forgot to change the install location. I do this pretty much every other time.

Second time I installed Android platform support but didn't select to also install the (apparently required) JDK.

Third time I discovered that since didn't explicitly select to install Windows platform support, I only got the 32-bit compiler.

In Delphi 12 you can do Tools -> Manage Features to bring up the install dialog from inside the IDE to add or remove things like platform support and the Android SDK and suggested Java JVM. 

In earlier releases Tools -> Manage Platforms did the same, but it was more limited. It can be used to add/remove Windows 64-bit platform target amongst other things. 

2 minutes ago, Brian Evans said:

In Delphi 12 you can do Tools -> Manage Features

Yes, I did that the third time.

I just wish they would remember my choices going from 12.0 to 12.1; It's hardly rocket science...