zmezzo

Scientific research

Hi, 

I need some helo about Delphi APIs.

In JAVA frequently used an API called "OpenSpurcePhysics". It was made for physcicsts, and containd a lot of numerical method (numerical integration of differentieal equations, matrix operations, etc.) and when I wanted to use any of theese, I just imported this API, and simply called a function with parameters (e. g. Runge-Kutta method for solving dínamical equations step-by-step for motion simulations).But the mostly used feature of this was the easy plotting caculated curves, or drawing e.g. orbits of satelites. JAVA has very-very sophisticated and superior, but extremely  hard-to-use graphics abilities. For me (before i found OSP) it took extreme amoount time and energy to code the program parts thar plot my results - far more time than to write  the parts that made the numerical simulations, soltions, snd so on.  

Anyway, cpuld anyone tell me it there is something similar to the JAVA OpenSourcePhysics in Delpy also? I think large numbers of scientists use Delphi for their work and maybe (I hope) a mathematical method libreery including the plotting functions were written by someone.   It woidl be great.

Thank íou for your answer.

zmezzo

Posted (edited)

Depends what numerical methods you want. Runge-Kutta is straightforward to write, I know there are some Delphi versions on github. Wht kind of plotting functions were you looking for?

Is this the site you meant https://www.compadre.org/OSP/ ?

If so this looks more like a collection of mini apps rather than a reusable library. I could be wrong.

Edited by hsauro

Personally I compile openblas and other libraries into dlls and link to them. Not least because the performance is obviously much better than code compiled by delphi. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Die Holländer said:

That's an impressive piece of software that I hadn't come across before. It would be hard to compete with today's dominance of Python in science but nevertheless, this is a nice piece of software in looks and functionality.

8 hours ago, David Heffernan said:

Personally I compile openblas and other libraries into dlls and link to them. Not least because the performance is obviously much better than code compiled by delphi. 

Same here. I still do all my UI in Delphi however. I still haven't found anything else that beats Delphi in terms of productivity for building UIs. I've used QT and wxWidgets and both required much more work to use and the results were still subpar, mainly because it's so hard to do iterative refinements to the UI. 

• Like 2