Jean-Michel Gaudette

Delphi app using Access database very slow on network drive.

Hi, 2 of my customers have a speed issue (very big one) when the MsAccess MDB file (Ado) is on any of their Network drive. When the MDB is on the local C: drive every thing is very quick. After moving the MDB file on the network drive it become terrible . A simple Sql query on local drive is less than one sec. and on the network drive 8 to 9 sec. Everything was ok 3 or 4 month before. No update on my side.  My app was compile with Delphi 10.4 using ADO connection .

Single user or multi user?

Named share?

Long path/file names?

Antivirus changes?

DNS changes?

Security changes?

Do you which calls that are slow?

Have you tried System Monitor to look for errors?

Posted (edited)

Huge slowdowns on a file server can often be due to failed write cache battery backup on a raid controller with spinning disks attached. With two different customers seeing the issue this is less likely the cause.

A local SSD or even HD can hide issues with queries and indexes - scanning a 1GB table is nothing from a local SSD but will be much slower going over the network to a spinning disk. Same if antivirus scans the MDB on first open - much faster locally vs across the network. Can check Resource Monitor and see how much disk reads are required when the application does a query. 

Edited by Brian Evans