havrlisan

Cannot create directories on iOS

Question for iOS platform. Why would System.SysUtils.ForceDirectories return false for the following path:

/private/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/2DBA3EDB-E7AE-4633-BC13-94A47589ECDC/DEBUG (LOCALHOST)/{665ACF03-9968-4C72-915E-0BF7B4F3B102}/_preferences

The path is a combination of TPath.GetHomePath and custom folders starting from the "DEBUG (LOCALHOST)" folder. It's a folder within the app sandbox so it shouldn't be a problem unless I'm missing something.

Even though this is within the app sandbox, certain directories might still have restrictions. For example, there could be permissions issues with creating directories at that specific path, especially if the app has some sort of managed or limited access to certain subdirectories.
I use the TPath.GetDocumentsPath mostly, as it felt like the least problematic one.

This path is designed to store user-generated content, documents, and files that should be backed up by iTunes and other backup solutions.

Not sure if all characters are valid there, especially the underscore, I would say yes, but better check with simpler path (e.g., without underscore, parentheses or spaces).

Edited by Rollo62
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rollo62 said:

I use the TPath.GetDocumentsPath mostly, as it felt like the least problematic one.

Switching to Documents path fixed the issue. Thanks!