Sign in to follow this  
JIMSMITH

Need to create a rest web server do I need IIS?

I need to create a rest server that returns a json data after the client application provide 3 parameters of information.  We will take those 3 parameters from a client connection, execute a query, and build the json to return.  The client application will be remote to the server that hosts the db server.  Do I need IIS or can the delphi rest server listen on port 80 and receive the parameters and return the response?

Answer to your question depends on your needs.

I don't use ISS or Nginx for about 200 clients using MARS Curiosity as my REST server. 

mORMot2 is another Open Source Client-Server ORM SOA MVC framework and uses REST which tested to serve millions of requests under certain conditions.

It is up to you to choose your REST server framework and any load balancer if you need it.

Only need to serve a few hundred connections at most.  Initially a dozen will work..

From an organizational perspective a web server like IIS is easier to manage, especially in the long term, than individual web services running on random machines and ports. System administrators are familiar with the logging and configuration of a web server and can perform various tasks without involving the developers. For example, keeping https settings up to date by disabling weak protocols and cyphers.

You don't need a web server, but it might be beneficial to consider using one.