vhanla

Community Edition License keeps failing

I've been having these issue for a long time, almost on all Delphi CE since Tokyo, and it is related to license, it is correctly working after installing, but after some usage if the IDE crashes because of a IDE plugin (installed from GetIt) like bookmarks (in this last issue), the IDE crashes and I can't close the project, also can't close the IDE in order to restart, so I just kill the IDE, but after restarting it shows License prompt asking for registration. However, when I launch the License Manager with button called Advanced, the license is still there with 360 days or more left, and it says is registered, but after closing that window it shows error message "You are not licensed to use..." and Delphi is not working anymore.

So I have to reinstall all over again, and it works again. But it is a pain in **** to do that again and again, reinstall the components, etc. The error that locks the IDE seems related to some *.bpl file.

It is happening me each time, the license is only for one computer and no other computers were used previously.

Does anyone had the same issue with license? Now, I have to reinstall, in order to continue using the IDE, it is unpleasant. BTW, I guess I reported that issue before.

I also noticed, that registry in Windows clears values about Embarcadero HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Embarcadero, ETM FireDac Locales disappears, and BDS is empty. After reinstalling everything is OK, but it is annoying, I will monitor file changes in installation path and programdata in order to find out what is causing this issue.

I am using Delphi 10.3.3 Community Edition right now.

I did have license failure just once for a Community Edition. It was after I changed computer name of Windows.

I do not remember having frequent IDE crashes at all.

I have never seen a crash of my 10.3.3 CE. But I program Win 32-bit VCL mostly in it. IDE Fix Pack is installed.

13 hours ago, vhanla said:

the license is still there with 360 days or more left

It's impossible. 1 year is the maximum license term for CE license. 

4 hours ago, Kryvich said:

It's impossible. 1 year is the maximum license term for CE license. 

Actually it is possible. License days start counting down from the day you activate it for the first time.

Moreover, if you register and get a free license today it will have 366 days left.

If the topic starter get a new license of CE after every incident than OK, it's possible.

I'm here again, with the same issue 😢

Today I started the IDE, after a week not using it, last time I reinstalled was working fine. Now it shows the registration window again.

Registry entries seems to have been deleted, I don't know what would have caused that, checking the files in ProgramFiles(x86) and ProgramData reports no changes. I don't know where else files might trigger that behavior.

1. image.png.812dae503b202f0f3aba26cdf99c99cd.png

(Emptied Registry Entries)

After closing the License Manager, C:\ProgramData\Embarcadero new files are added, .\.cg_license and .licenses\.cg_license

Thankfully I had a backup from registry, I just imported and it launched without errors.

Notice that in this last installation I haven't installed any IDE plugin/component and no errors were shown as in previous experience, but computer restarted once while IDE was open, but I don't remember a correlation since I started the IDE after the restart.

You did not run Delphi.

You did not install any kind of plug-in or component.

Only thing left is OS itself. Something must have been changed in your system that affects Delphi license.

You can try to remember if you did some kind of "restore" or system change (computer name or alike) or hardware change during last week.

You can also look for a "cleaning tool" or similar in the system and disable it for a while just for ruling out that possibility.

I don't really know, but after installing some few components, making a backup of registry shows that it is a big text file, I didn't know it could contain many reg binary entries, specially for cache purposes as its keys (in registry) name suggests.

At least, now I know that restoring the registry fixes it, so I won't be reinstalling it completely.

Rad Studio has the Migration tool. You can use it to backup & restore registry settings, to migrate to newer version of Delphi.

I'm trying 10.4 (trial), and I can't find out why this error keeps occurring, I'm starting to suspect JCL or JVCL has something to do, since the last time my previous installations that didn't show this error at all these components were not installed (not really sure though). However, today Delphi IDE 10.4 also had this error, and even though I reapplied the trial key and import saved files which I did using migration tool (just after installing 10.4) didn't help at all. I had to reinstall, again.