Mahdi Safsafi

Typed constants in Delphi.

@David Heffernan

Just one last thing that bother me with SO: There're a lot of people that use a high level vocabulary that any no-native English speaker would understand. Worse they follow grammar mistakes and embarrasses the man in a way (you missed 's', he/she/it ... come on !, ...). When you talk with your Doctor, the Doctor is confined by deontological ethics to give you a clean, simple and loyal information. I believe that should applies on SO too (A man asks question because he is confused otherwise he wouldn't ask).

David and all SO influencers, your voice is heard ! Perhaps, you can start an initiation at least on the Delphi community (this definitely will make a difference).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mahdi Safsafi said:

Worse they follow grammar mistakes and embarrasses the man in a way (you missed 's', he/she/it ... come on !, ...).

I don't think there's any point in picking up those things. I mean edit a post to resolve them, but no need to comment on them. 

23 minutes ago, Mahdi Safsafi said:

When you talk with your Doctor, the Doctor is confined by deontological ethics to give you a clean, simple and loyal information. I believe that should applies on SO too (A man asks question because he is confused otherwise he wouldn't ask).

You pay your doctor for a service. Stack Overflow is a little bit different.

24 minutes ago, Mahdi Safsafi said:

David and all SO influencers, your voice is heard ! Perhaps, you can start an initiation at least on the Delphi community (this definitely will make a difference).

I have utterly no influence on Stack Overflow. 

I don't think there's any point in picking up those things. I mean edit a post to resolve them, but no need to comment on them. 

Absolutely ! Few time, I saw people commenting (rather than just editing a post) in an explicitly provocative way just to embarrasses people.

You pay your doctor for a service.

In fact, paying has nothing to do with that. Its defined by Hippocratic Oath. In a world(no-capitalism) where you don't have to pay for a medical service, your doctor still restricted by deontology ethics. You're right SO is a little bit different(different cultures all around the glob), but I believe that the platform could do much better toward that issue.

I have utterly no influence on Stack Overflow. 

Than I just hope that things get better there.

21 hours ago, Mahdi Safsafi said:

Yes that happened to me too !

Splitting constants between two unit, solved the problem.

I tested in 10.3.3. 

7 hours ago, David Heffernan said:

It came across as patronising and gleeful.

It was by no means meant that way. On the contrary, like everybody else I admire and cherish your capabilities as a programmer, but feel bad every time I witness you treating people badly for minor reasons. I pity this, no more and no less.

1 hour ago, Benmik said:

It was by no means meant that way. On the contrary, like everybody else I admire and cherish your capabilities as a programmer, but feel bad every time I witness you treating people badly for minor reasons. I pity this, no more and no less.

It just goes to show how easy it can be to misinterpret what people mean.

If only Delphi support true complex constants (arrays, records), typed constants would lose their sense. It's a shame Delphi still can't declare stupid constant array of strings.

Btw, for typing simple constants you can use typecasting instead:

const clBlack = TColor(0);

const rbsCRLF = RawByteString(#13#10);