timfrost

Unwanted Windows XP Manifest inserted

All of my programs have a custom manifest file, specified using $R in the DPR.  I have different combinations of administrator and dpiPM manifests for different programs. Using a $R entry in the DPR allows me to have a common Finalbuilder action for building EXE files, with only a couple of variables needed, and allows me to build either in the IDE or for production. In the IDE, none of my projects specify a manifest.

In just one single program, this fails, because Delphi inserts its own windowsXP.res containing an XP manifest into the EXE.  In consequence this application, which requires elevation, gets two manifests and the XP manifest wins.  Watching the build with PROCMON shows this file being picked up and used. The unwanted manifest is inserted both when compiling in the IDE and in Finalbuilder.  I have tried deleting all the project files other than the DPR and starting afresh, to no avail.  None of the unit sources or resource files reference this Windows XP manifest.  I can get around this issue by removing the $R and instead specifying a custom manifest, but this is untidy because I then have to have to build this program differently from all the others in Finalbuilder.

Can anyone suggest what might be causing this resource file to be picked up?

There is a component for this... XP something. It's not on any of your forms, right? Also make sure you remove it's unit from the dependency list.

Thanks, both.  I had just found that one myself, but of course it is not in the link map, because it contains no code.

But it does show up on searching in the full PROCMON listing for bds.exe, now that I have stopped filtering it on windowsxp.res.  So I think I can track it down to a form this application has borrowed from elsewhere; not code I have written.

This level of detective work is always a fun task for a cold Sunday!

5 hours ago, David Heffernan said:

The unit is named XPMan. Search for that. 

That's the one, thanks! I did not use it since Windows 7 though, since then I'm writing my own manifest files 🙂

2 minutes ago, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

Yep but I guess it's considered obsolete.

This topic is not about what is considered the right way to handle manifests. It's about tracking down the inclusion of a resource whose origin is not immediately obvious.