Clément

Recomended Translation API

Hi,

I'm finalizing the modernization of my old translation IDE, and I need to update some features, like automated translation. The app is still using old API call. And at that time they were free.
Before writing a Google or Microsoft API I would like to check if there's a better option for us developers.

Is there any API you would recommend? Is there a more suitable API that translates better small application texts  ( like button captions, form captions, etc )

Clément

Edited by Clément

43 minutes ago, Clément said:

Before writing a Google or Microsoft API I would like to check if there's a better option for us developers.

Is there any API you would recommend? Is there a more suitable API that translates better small application texts  ( like button captions, form captions, etc )

If you start from scratch, consider using DeepL.

Their translations are usually much better than Google or Microsoft.

I don't know about their API though, I only ever used the web interface.

• Like 1

Google doesn't have an API anymore and even if they did it wouldn't be advisable to use it.

Microsoft Translator Service has a free tier with a limit of 2 million characters per month. So far I haven't hit their limit with my own personal use.

Microsoft Terminology Service is free.

I haven't tried DeepL but I have it on my TODO list. They don't have a free tier though so it doesn't have high priority.

Of these, for "small application texts", I would recommend the Microsoft Terminology Service. I usually get very good results with it.

You can try it out in my translation tool (and look at the source for inspiration):

That reminds me that I need to get a new version of BTM uploaded as the current one, compiled with D10.3.3, fails to communicate with the Microsoft Terminology Service SOAP service because of a bug in Delphi's SOAP library. Should be fixed in 10.4.1 AFAIK.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Anders Melander said:

Google doesn't have an API anymore and even if they did it wouldn't be advisable to use it.

Microsoft Translator Service has a free tier with a limit of 2 million characters per month. So far I haven't hit their limit with my own personal use.

Microsoft Terminology Service is free.

I haven't tried DeepL but I have it on my TODO list. They don't have a free tier though so it doesn't have high priority.

Of these, for "small application texts", I would recommend the Microsoft Terminology Service. I usually get very good results with it.

You can try it out in my translation tool (and look at the source for inspiration):

That reminds me that I need to get a new version of BTM uploaded as the current one, compiled with D10.3.3, fails to communicate with the Microsoft Terminology Service SOAP service because of a bug in Delphi's SOAP library. Should be fixed in 10.4.1 AFAIK.

Thank for the tips.
Very nice job with BTM!

I know how hard it is to manage a translation tool. When I decided to reinvent the wheel, there was no BTM, only the one provided by Inprise, or maybe Borland.
I will look the source for inspiration, and as soon as mine is functional, I will post here some pictures, and hopefully you will help me with your invaluable insight. :classic_rolleyes:

Clément