Sign in to follow this  
dummzeuch

PortableAppsToStartMenu 1.0.0

Tired of all those programs which install lots of additional stuff I have been using more and more so called “Portable Apps”. “Portable” in this context means: You can put them anywhere, even on a portable storage device and start them from there. These Programs are still Windows only. And of course nobody prevents you from putting them in a folder on the system harddisk, usually c:\PortableApps. All files these programs need are inside this one folder, so in order to move or copy them, you simply move/copy that folder.

There is a dedicated launcher and updater for these types of programs at portableapps.com, which is written in Delphi btw. and the source code is available.

One thing that has irked me all the time is that these programs don’t show up in the Windows start menu, unless I add them manually, which I usually don’t. Today I had enough and wrote PortableAppsToStartMenu, a tool which given a PortableApps directory collects all the executables stored there and creates shortcuts in the Windows Start Menu for them.

Read on in the blog post.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks! Sure it will be very useful for me as I organize my portable app in a folder that I keep in a closest location.

Some things:

I downloaded the source and got a little trouble with compilation ... perhaps I was too hurry to open directly the project without running any batch file and then some missing dzLib ... at the end I managed to compile it 🙂  and spotted one small thing the button '...' does nothing (you must forget to implement it ... I guess it should be an OpenfileDialog). 

Thanks again !

12 hours ago, Mahdi Safsafi said:

I downloaded the source and got a little trouble with compilation ... perhaps I was too hurry to open directly the project without running any batch file and then some missing dzLib ... 🙂

You don't need to run any batch file, but you must be sure to check out the sources including the externals, in this case dzlib and buildtools. The pre- and post-build scripts need buildtools.

12 hours ago, Mahdi Safsafi said:

the button '...' does nothing (you must forget to implement it ... I guess it should be an OpenfileDialog). 

Oh, yes, I forgot to implement that button. I never use it and prefer drag and drop or autocomplete. I just added it out of habit.

(Hm, why is this text larger now? Sometimes the mobile interface does strange things.)

Edited by dummzeuch

1 hour ago, dummzeuch said:

You don't need to run any batch file, but you must be sure to check out the sources including the externals, in this case dzlib and buildtools. The pre- and post-build scripts need buildtools.

My bad ! I was too naive to download the source as a zip since I don't have a svn client ... I guess I need a portable TortoiseSVN.

D10.2.3

'while compiling the source i get this error

[Exec Error] The command "call ..\buildtools\prebuild.cmd G:\Delphi Projects\GEXPERT\portableappstostartmenu\trunk\src\PortableAppsToStartMenu.dproj" exited with code 20005.

Edited by limelect

13 hours ago, limelect said:

D10.2.3

'while compiling the source i get this error

[Exec Error] The command "call ..\buildtools\prebuild.cmd G:\Delphi Projects\GEXPERT\portableappstostartmenu\trunk\src\PortableAppsToStartMenu.dproj" exited with code 20005.

The space character in the path might cause this.

I rechecked 

1. Using ....portableappstostartmenu\tags\1.0.0\src

2. just above it portableappstostartmenu\tags\1.0.0\buildtools

3. Output portableappstostartmenu\tags\1.0.0  (..)

4. buildtools\postbuild.cmd $(OUTPUTDIR)$(OUTPUTNAME) should be and not ..\

5. Now a new error 

[Exec Error] The command "call buildtools\prebuild.cmd G:\Delphi Projects\GEXPERT\portableappstostartmenu\tags\1.0.0\src\PortableAppsToStartMenu.dproj" exited with code 1.

which mean no file found

so i gave it a full path

call G:\Delphi Projects\GEXPERT\portableappstostartmenu\tags\1.0.0\buildtools\prebuild.cmd

it did not help

1 hour ago, limelect said:

call G:\Delphi Projects\GEXPERT\portableappstostartmenu\tags\1.0.0\buildtools\prebuild.cmd

The space in G:\Delphi Projects is a problem. You need your path in double quotes.

@Bill Meyer forgot about that. You are right

but now

[dcc32 Error] E1026 File not found: 'PortableAppsToStartMenu_version.res'
[dcc32 Error] E1026 File not found: 'PortableAppsToStartMenu_icon.res'
[dcc32 Error] E1026 File not found: 'PortableAppsToStartMenu_manifest.res'
[dcc32 Error] E1026 File not found: 'PortableAppsToStartMenu_version.res'
[dcc32 Error] E1026 File not found: 'PortableAppsToStartMenu_icon.res'
[dcc32 Error] E1026 File not found: 'PortableAppsToStartMenu_manifest.res'

Plz add res

Ok i give up

after

{.$R *_version.res} << disable
{.$R *_icon.res}
{.$R *_manifest.res}

new error

[Exec Error] The command "call "G:\Delphi Projects\GEXPERT\portableappstostartmenu\tags\1.0.0\buildtools\postbuild.cmd" ..\PortableAppsToStartMenu" exited with code 1.

when it will be fool proof i recheck.

Sorry

Did you try a path without space characters? Simply move the project directory to e.g. g:\sources and try the build script again.

@limelect I just fixed a few problems in the build scripts regarding directories and file names containing space characters. It works for me now. Try again, but remember to check out the trunk, because that's where I made these changes.

@dummzeuch Sorry it is weekend here.

Well now it compiled OK

Tf_PortableAppsToStartMenu.b_PortableAppsDirClick <<<< empty

Edited by limelect