FPiette

Mapping or Cartography, that's the question

Hello,

I'm writing a few applications related to map and track handling. I have written routines to handle GPX files, GDB files and geodesic calculations. Everything work OK but now I want to better organize the code  in folders and in the way identifiers are named.

As you may know, I'm a French speaking native and as such my English is poor. In French, the best word to describe the general category my software fits is "cartographie". This term translates to "cartography" in English. But the English word "mapping" also translate to "cartographie" in French.

According to Cambridge dictionary, "cartography" is the science or art of making or drawing maps. In the same dictionary, "mapping" is the activity or process of making a map.

My software doesn't make maps, it uses maps. It handle (read, build, edit, save, display) tracks and way points recorded by a GPS.

My question is should I use the term "Cartography" or "Mapping"? 

IMHO, call it cartography. I think that is better for SEO (search engine optimization, you know, google positioning technics). Mapping gives results related to things like ORM mapping, use of google maps in your app, etc. 

• Like 2

As an English speaker and an orienteer (course d'orientation en Français) I am clear that cartography is the act of surveying and creating a map. I don't think you want to use that word for your software as you have described it here. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, David Heffernan said:

I don't think you want to use that word for your software as you have described it here.

OK. Do you have any suggestion then? @Diego Muñoz argument is also good.

I'm not convinced by what Diego says. Seems unlikely to me that cartography is a search keyword that will work for you. 

I wouldn't like to make suggestions, don't know what your software is. All I am saying is that if your software isn't for the purpose of creating maps then it isn't cartography. 

Another way to see my problem is to think about what would be the category of someone searching for the software I described. Where would you search for a library able to load a GPX or GDB file and show it interactively on a map (I use OpenStreetMap)? Where would someone search for an application to create tracks (Something similar to Garmin MapSource or BaseCamp)? By "where" I mean which keyword if only one has to be given.

7 minutes ago, Pat Foley said:

Sharing gps locations along a "trail"

The recording of locations along a "trail" is a named a "track". See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Edit_GPS_tracks or this: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/550463#specs (Search for "track").

As see as an application, my software could be viewed as a "track editor". As seen as a library, it is set as all the components and functions to build a track editor, and this include interactively showing a map (or topomap) on screen.

3 minutes ago, Rollo62 said:

What about 'Routing ? 

I don't think it is. "Routing" will no find a route between two locations as does a car GPS. It is oriented toward hiking (cycling, running,...) and use topomaps which are not routable.

As see as an application, my software could be viewed as a "track editor".

Track editor yielded music "track" first

Trail Editor found following // did not try since not secure.  

Trail Tech's Ride Leader GPX Editing Software  

In the western mountains trails are called either, one track ~ one person wide or two track ~ wagon wide.

Often web pages have embedded additional terms for the search engine to find. Meaning use your terms for product naming and add terms so others can find your site.   

Edited by Pat Foley
add meaning
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pat Foley said:

Often web pages have embedded additional terms for the search engine to find

Which can lead to being dropped from search results for manipulation and BMW found out a few years ago.