Jump to content
RockWallaby

A Component Named xxxx Already Exists.

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

I have suddenly started having strange issues with RAD Studio 10.2.3 after years of it working fine.  For example, if I select Tools/CodeSite/CodeSite Method Tracer it works fine the first time.  But if I do it a second or more times, the following error is displayed:

 

"A component named MethodTracerForm already exists."

 

Some other options in RAD Studio act in a similar way, displaying messages like: "A component named DotNetForm already exists".

 

I then have to restart the IDE before I can access these options, which then act the same way again.  It looks like the IDE may not be releasing the forms.

 

This is what I have done to try to resolve the issue:

 

  • Uninstalled and reinstalled RAD Studio (several times).
  • Repaired the Windows registry.
  • Scanned the system files for errors or corrupted files.
  • Ran complete hardware tests (eg. hard drives, memory, etc.).
  • Repair .Net files.

 

Has anyone come across anything like this before?

 

Thanks.

 

= Steve

 

CodeSite Error.png

DotNetFormError.png

Share this post


Link to post
Guest

try very in your TASK MANAGER if exist some software/service loaded and not unloaded when necessary! if yes, just "kill it" and still...

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the suggestions.

 

I uninstalled GExperts, EurekaLog and CNPack.  No difference.

 

= Steve

Share this post


Link to post

I have been experiencing the similar issue on DotNetForm already exists as well since about end of January for both Sydney and Tokyo, it has been happening on a daily basis when starting up. 

 

I followed the advice of renaming or removing C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Embarcadero\BDS\21.0\Startup Layout.dst

 

Once i do that Delphi IDE cleanly starts but the question is why is this happening at all ?

 

Is there any type of log file that i can review to see what exactly is going on ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Baron Software said:

I have been experiencing the similar issue on DotNetForm already exists as well since about end of January for both Sydney and Tokyo, it has been happening on a daily basis when starting up. 

 

I followed the advice of renaming or removing C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Embarcadero\BDS\21.0\Startup Layout.dst

 

Once i do that Delphi IDE cleanly starts but the question is why is this happening at all ?

 

Is there any type of log file that i can review to see what exactly is going on ?

 

I'd like to know too!  It suddenly started happening and no matter what I do, I can't seem to resolve it.  Surely we're not the only two in the world to be experiencing this.

Share this post


Link to post

I been having the same issues with some custom components added to a package.  I renamed the old BPLs to BPLxxs and seemed to have fixed it.

Have you used shift+ctrl+F to look for compxxx.    When it was happening the component disappeared taking its method assignments with it.  I would start second IDE and load back up copy to copy and paste aberrant component with property and method assignments. 

Share this post


Link to post

This can happen when the named component is present in the PAS file, but not on the form, or vice-versa. In my experience, it comes up when you move a form from a particular version of Delphi in which the component was installed to one in which the component type is not installed. Most often, it is in the DFM file, which will not display the component because it can't be found. Right-click on the form and edit as text, then search on the name.

Alternately, it could be absent from the form, but the declaration in the PAS file may still be present. If that is the case, remove the declaration and then place your new component.

 

As to the behavior described with CodeSite, I have no idea, as I have never experienced that. You could try a message to Ray Konopka, who is very helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, Bill Meyer said:

This can happen when the named component is present in the PAS file, but not on the form, or vice-versa. In my experience, it comes up when you move a form from a particular version of Delphi in which the component was installed to one in which the component type is not installed. Most often, it is in the DFM file, which will not display the component because it can't be found. Right-click on the form and edit as text, then search on the name.

Alternately, it could be absent from the form, but the declaration in the PAS file may still be present. If that is the case, remove the declaration and then place your new component.

 

As to the behavior described with CodeSite, I have no idea, as I have never experienced that. You could try a message to Ray Konopka, who is very helpful.

Thanks.  I'll investigate further.

 

I contacted Ray about CodeSite and he thought that the RAD Studio installation may have become corrupted.  So I completely uninstalled it and then reinstalled it, but it made no difference.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Pat Foley said:

I been having the same issues with some custom components added to a package.  I renamed the old BPLs to BPLxxs and seemed to have fixed it.

Have you used shift+ctrl+F to look for compxxx.    When it was happening the component disappeared taking its method assignments with it.  I would start second IDE and load back up copy to copy and paste aberrant component with property and method assignments. 

Thanks.  I'll give that a try.

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/22/2021 at 8:23 AM, RockWallaby said:

Thanks.  I'll give that a try.

Yeah that didn't work either.

Share this post


Link to post

I been having the same issues with some custom components added to a package.  I renamed the old BPLs to BPLxxs and seemed to have fixed it. //The IDE uses BPLs for showing components in design 

Have you used shift+ctrl+F to look for compxxx.    When it was happening the component disappeared taking its method assignments with it.  I would start second IDE and load back up copy to copy and paste aberrant component with property and method assignments. // When compiler detects unitsearchpath error I cancel loading fix the path first.  

 

 

If you sanitized your system could the problem be transported in the myProject.dproj?   Maybe compare with earlier dproj?   10.2.3 (is Stoic does not "leave the room" or disappear like 10.4) when using find class in search menu then control B to see paths in IDE code editor.  

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Pat Foley said:

I been having the same issues with some custom components added to a package.  I renamed the old BPLs to BPLxxs and seemed to have fixed it. //The IDE uses BPLs for showing components in design 

Have you used shift+ctrl+F to look for compxxx.    When it was happening the component disappeared taking its method assignments with it.  I would start second IDE and load back up copy to copy and paste aberrant component with property and method assignments. // When compiler detects unitsearchpath error I cancel loading fix the path first.  

 

 

If you sanitized your system could the problem be transported in the myProject.dproj?   Maybe compare with earlier dproj?   10.2.3 (is Stoic does not "leave the room" or disappear like 10.4) when using find class in search menu then control B to see paths in IDE code editor.  

Thank you for the suggestion.  I did search for "DotNetForm" but nothing was found.

 

If I create a new project with no components the error still persists, so it seems to me to be something wrong with the IDE itself rather than a dproj file. 

 

I would have thought reinstalling RAD Studio would fix the problem but unfortunately it didn't.  They only thing I can think of is to have it remove all registry entries on the uninstall, but I'm hesitant to do that as reinstalling all of the components will be a big job and I might still end up with the same problem.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×