pyscripter

Delphi 11 High DPI designer

The new High DPI Form Designer in Delphi gives you the following choices:

• Low DPI (96) default
  • Auto DPI
  • FIxed DPI

Choice sounds good, however none of the choices is satisfactory:

• Working with the Low DPI setting in a High DPI monitor is next to impossible given the minute size of the form.
  • Auto DPI is the version control nightmare.  If you have different developers working with different screen resolutions, or even one developer working on say sometimes on a desktop with a DPI 96 and sometimes on a high DPI laptop, every time you touch the form on a machine with a different resolution all the coordinates widths and heights of the components will change.  Absolutely no go.
  • Fixed DPI has the same issues as Low DPI. You set the Fixed DPI to match one of the screen resolution, but when you open the form to another computer the form will show either too big or too small.

What I would like to have is Fixed DPI, so that you avoid the version control issues, but automatic scaling of the form into the Screen coordinates and back to the Fixed DPI when you save the form.  I know that the scaling from one DPI to another and back may result in changes of the original values.   But the scaling back to the Fixed DPI does not need to happen unless a control is moved or resized.  

Is it just me that have issues with High-DPI designer?

@Marco Cantu

@David Millington

Your comments will be appreciated.

Edited by pyscripter
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, pyscripter said:

What I would like to have is Fixed DPI, so that you avoid the version control issues, but automatic scaling of the form into the Screen coordinates and back to the Fixed DPI when you save the form.

That comes pretty near to Option to design in Screen PPI but save in 96 PPI

1 hour ago, pyscripter said:

Is it just me that have issues with High-DPI designer?

Definitely not: https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-35301?jql=affectedVersion %3D "11.0 Alexandria" AND text ~ "designer dpi"

• Like 3

I am still using 96DPI for designer. I also have problems with the ScalingFlags property. The VCL is changing it's value during the loading of the component from the DFM. I have to "lock" QuickReport to 96 in order to work correctly. On the other hand for some controls when rescaled for higher DPI the font changed but not the width so the data doesn't fit into the controls on higher DPI.

51 minutes ago, Lajos Juhász said:

for some controls when rescaled for higher DPI the font changed but not the width

Can you file a QP report for those controls?

2 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Can you file a QP report for those controls?

I am not going to work on that project in the near future. When I go back to that project most probably will have to find a way to improve high DPI and to report whatever anything I can make a simple test project.

This manual DPI handling issue will exist forever, and no good solution will be found. Even if the IDE itself will handle some portion of the problem, there will be always bugfull components. And so on, and so on...

Only switching the whole UI library to logical points will really help.