Attila Kovacs

SvcMgr and Event Logs

in the Vcl.SvcMgr.pas / procedure TServiceApplication.Run; there are these two lines:

if StartThread.ReturnValue <> 0 then
        FEventLogger.LogMessage(SysErrorMessage(StartThread.ReturnValue));

where LogMessage (windows ReportEvent()) gets a string parameter containing an error message and having 3 other parameters filled with default values: EventType=1, Category=0, ID=0.

Now, every time this LogMessage is called, in the Event Logs I see an entry with ID=0 and the message is not the one passed to this method

but the translated error message (to the windows' current language) of the ID=0. (Or some similar mechanism which I'm not aware of.)

Like I'm having always: "Der Vorgang wurde erfolgreich beendet."  ID = 0.

But if I'm also passing the error code to LogMessage, like:

FEventLogger.LogMessage(SysErrorMessage(StartThread.ReturnValue), 1, 0, StartThread.ReturnValue);

then in the event viewer are the right messages.

Also, the message parameter (the first parameter) will be inserted in those messages if there is a placeholder for that.

Did something change since Windows NT or ist it a longstanding bug or do I miss something?

14 hours ago, Attila Kovacs said:

Now, every time this LogMessage is called, in the Event Logs I see an entry with ID=0 and the message is not the one passed to this method

but the translated error message (to the windows' current language) of the ID=0. (Or some similar mechanism which I'm not aware of.)

I have been using TService for many years, and I have never experienced what you describe.  Whenever I use LogMessage() (which, I admit is very rare, as I prefer my own logging), the passed string message is displayed as-is in the event log (prefixed with "The description for Event ID 0 ... cannot be found" if I don't include a proper message table resource that maps ID 0 to '%s').

14 hours ago, Attila Kovacs said:

Did something change since Windows NT or ist it a longstanding bug or do I miss something?

No.  The behavior of the ReportEvent() API has not changed over the years.

6 minutes ago, Remy Lebeau said:

if I don't include a proper message table resource that maps ID 0

btw. is there any default table provided by delphi?

16 minutes ago, Attila Kovacs said:

btw. is there any default table provided by delphi?

No, there is not.  I create my own table manually, using a combination of Microsoft's Message Compiler and XN Resource Editor (to tweak the output from mc.exe) to produce a .res file that I then link into my project

Edited by Remy Lebeau
  • Thanks 1