Ralf7

Delphi Starter License

How long does a Delphi Starter Tokyo license last? I don't mean the Community Edition, but the previous Starter Editions.

Edited by Ralf7

As far as I know, it's forever.

As I understand it, Community is full-featured with a temporary license, whereas Starter was partially crippled (limited database handling, not sure what else), but had a "forever" license.

It seems, Emba has withdrawn all Starter Licences on all PCs without notice.

• Sad 1

I have Tokyo Starter installed in a Win10 vm, along with a number of other Delphi versions.  I fired up the vm, and ran Starter -- it worked no problem.  I let Windows do some updates, then ran Starter again -- and again no problem.  I don't know what to think.  Is it possible there's some corruption in your Tokyo install?  What makes you think Emba has withdrawn the Starter license?

• Like 1

I also have Tokyo on a laptop that I haven't done anything on for months. Tokio Starter doesn't start there anymore either. The license has been revoked.

Edited by Ralf7

2 minutes ago, Ralf7 said:

The license has been revoked.

That's a pretty global statement.  But again, what makes you think the Starter license has been withdrawn (for everyone)?  So it "doesn't work" -- did you get some kind of message (error or otherwise)?  Have you heard from others who've had the same problem?  If so, did they get some kind of message?

fyi. . .  I fired up Starter again just now -- no problem.

The support says my license has expired and renewal is not possible at this time. I have to go back to Delphi 7 now.

13 hours ago, Ralf7 said:

The support says my license has expired and renewal is not possible at this time. I have to go back to Delphi 7 now.

What do you mean by "support says"?

You called them?

Did you look on your registered products page yet?

https://my.embarcadero.com/#registeredProduct

4 minutes ago, Ralf7 said:

Yes.

I only see that it was registered in 2017.

And what does License Expiration Date say when running C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\19.0\bin\LicenseManagerLauncher?

I thought the Starter editions were unlimited too (should say License Expiration Date:  Unlimited in that case).

Did you buy Starter or was this one of the free versions?

Did something change on your computer (to make the license go bad)?

4 hours ago, rvk said:

Did you buy Starter or was this one of the free versions?

Mine is a free version:

• Title:  Delphi 10.2 Tokyo Starter Named User Promo Edition 
  • License file name:  ***.slip 
  • License Expiration Date:  Unlimited 
  • License Type:  Workstation 
  • Serial number:  ####-####-etc.
  • Platform:  Windows 
  • Commercial use:  Yes 

In the Title, it says "Promo Edition"  -- I guess there were different versions available at the time?

@Ralf7-- It seems you've had the rug pulled out from under you.  That's a bummer.  

The registered license is suddenly treated as unregistered. Supposedly it was registered 3 times. I registered it twice (PC+notebook).

You must first register before using the serial number. Click "Register..." to activate the following serial number:

Serial number: x

Title: Delphi 10.2 Tokyo Starter Named User Promo Edition License

Type: Unregistered

Is active: Yes

Commercial Use: Yes

Trial License: No

Max registrations: 3

Max users: 1

This license enables:

Delphi 10.2 Tokyo Starter

Delphi 10.3 Rio Starter

Delphi 10.4 Sydney Community Edition

Delphi 11.0 Alexandria Community Edition

Under C:\ProgramData\Embarcadero\.licenses I found the file --> .cgb_license.corrupted

Edited by Ralf7

1 hour ago, Ralf7 said:

Delphi 11.0 Alexandria Community Edition

? Has a new CE edition been released and no-one has told us?

On 8/24/2022 at 1:16 AM, Ralf7 said:

Under C:\ProgramData\Embarcadero\.licenses I found the file --> .cgb_license.corrupted

Yeah, that will do it. Rendering your version unlicensed.

I found this:

I had a similar problem when renaming my Windows 10 computer. Apparently the license is bound to the computer name. I had to re-register Delphi after renaming my computer but failed because of the limit of my license key. Solution was renaming back my computer and renaming C:\ProgramData\Embarcadero\.cgb_license.corrupted and C:\ProgramData\Embarcadero\.licenses\.cg_license.corrupted to files without the .corrupted as suffix. My licence slip file was C:\ProgramData\Embarcadero\.2016_2.#############.slip.

The License is tied to computername + username so if you keep these the same, then the copy of the slip files in “C:\ProgramData\Embarcadero” works just fine.

So you can see if renaming them back (after making a copy) will work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rvk said:

Yeah, that will do it. Rendering your version unlicensed.

I found this:

So you can see if renaming them back (after making a copy) will work.

Bingo, that's it. An admin has changed all computer names. I put it back. It works now. Many thanks!

Edited by Ralf7

I had a similar issue in that I had a catstrophic failure that destroyed my Desktop PC HD, I had the Tokyo Promo Starter edition installed and all the serials backed up on NAS, but I can no longer activate the Starter Promo license even on the same PC that has the same name. What is the point of an license that never expires if you can't activate / register it?

Now support tells me the Starter Promo registration limit is reached, 3 Registration limit, even though I am trying to re-register / re-activate on the same PC. I gather the problem is that I have re-installed it more than once on either Desktop or Laptop.

Similary, I have a laptop that also has Tokyo Starter Promo installed, but there appears to be no possible way to deactivate and transfer that license back to the Desktop.

I got some advice that I should have had the *.slip files backed up as well and ready for restoration, they are stored in the hidden %ProgramData%  folder. I've done that for the laptop now, I suppose that will get blocked as part of a future update.

Edited by cpcfreak