Sherlock

Access violation maybe from GExperts

I can't stress enough, that it's only a hunch, that GExperts might be the culprit here.

So, I installed Rio.1 on Wednesday and piled all the nice tools on to it. All seemed well. Now I started to use it more and get this AV every time I end it:

---------------------------
Anwendungsfehler
Exception EAccessViolation in Modul coreide260.bpl bei 0041861B.

Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse 208C861B in Modul 'coreide260.bpl'. Lesen von Adresse 00000008.

OK   

At first I used the expert manager to disable all the other experts, but to no avail. Then I uninstalled GExperts (GXRS10.3-13C-experimental-twm-2018-12-22) and the AV is gone. It might be the mixture of experts, but it is a rather common one (I hope):

GExperts

CnPack

Parnassus Bookmarks and Navigator

MMX Explorer

DDevExtensions

All newest versions as of today.

Could this have anything to do with GExperts? Or should I look somewhere else?

2 hours ago, Sherlock said:

Could this have anything to do with GExperts? Or should I look somewhere else?

I don't know. Since I currently don't use Rio for anything else but compiling and testing GExperts and a few other tools, it is quite possible that there are problems that I have never seen.

Is there any additional information with this error message? E.g. a stack trace? (I known it's unlikely because you would have probably mentioned it, but I'll ask anyway.)

I know that if I use the GExperts code formatter (which I do excessively), I often get an AV when closing the (Delphi 2007 and XE2) IDE. I have never been able to find the reason, so it is possible that it isn't the code formatter that causes it but something else entirely.

But then of course, it could be that it's not GExperts at all.

From your list, I only use CnPack (some very few functions of it) and DDevExtensions, but in Delphi 2007 not in Rio, so that doesn't say much. The others I don't use at all.

If you can reproduce the problem, you could try to run the IDE itself in the debugger and you might be able to find out what causes it. That would probably give you a call stack. But beware, there are many exceptions within the IDE itself that you will start to see then, which are not really errors. (But there is one annoying AV in the Welcome Page, which definitely is an error, but gets handled so you normally don't see it.)

We use Rio.1 (heavily), GExperts, MMXExplorer as well as Parnassus Bookmarks and Navigator.

We have not experienced such issues when closing the IDE.

On 2/22/2019 at 6:23 PM, dummzeuch said:

If you can reproduce the problem, you could try to run the IDE itself in the debugger and you might be able to find out what causes it. That would probably give you a call stack.

I should have thought of that myself! Thanks! It is not GExperts that has a problem here...it is FixInsight. Here is the call stack:

:50d867ee vcl260.@Vcl@Comctrls@TToolBar@GetButtonCount$qqrv + 0x6
:200df19a FixInsight_10_3.@Fixinsight@Expert@Datamodule@TdmFixInsightExpert@$bdtr$qqrv + 0x12
:50069344 rtl260.@System@TInterfacedObject@_Release$qqsv + 0x3c

So I should create a call there. Thanks for your help!

• Thanks 1

I disabled FixInsight (the latest version) the other day as I was getting IDE crashes on closedown. I raised the issue with TMS but have not heard anything. I’m glad someone else has managed to replicate it as I sometimes wonder whether its my old machine.

• Like 2