Sign in to follow this  
Brandon Staggs

Ctrl+Click declaration fails but CTRL+G works (Delphi 11.2)

On some projects, I cannot get property/class/field information by holding my mouse pointer over one, and CTRL+CLICK fails to do anything. On other projects, these features work fine.

In cases where CTRL+CLICK doesn't work, I can usually get to the declaration with CTRL+G (Search -> Find Original Symbol). It seems like these should really be the same thing, but one works and the other doesn't.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do to try to make CTRL+CLICK work properly? In the past I found this problem with very large units and complex uses clauses, but that was many releases ago, and it doesn't seem to make a difference which unit I am looking at in a project where CTRL+CLICK doesn't work.

Had the same with clipboard (CTRL-C, CTRL-V, CTRL-X) in D10.xx etc,  often exceptions with the rightclick-mouse method,  always working through the IDE main menu.

very very weird, have made rsp's in the paste about this kind of things, but have giving up hope about it.

Maybe it get's fixed when we start paying 10times the price of Delphi as we do now, seems that the current price range is not high enough to garantee a reasonable working product.

7 minutes ago, Brandon Staggs said:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do to try to make CTRL+CLICK work properly? In the past I found this problem with very large units and complex uses clauses, but that was many releases ago, and it doesn't seem to make a difference which unit I am looking at in a project where CTRL+CLICK doesn't work.

When Ctrl+click stops working for my projects, I found the best and easiest way to get it to work, I just switch between Release/Debug configuration (and back) and you can see the Codeinsight process does something and Ctrl+click starts working again.

So, if I develop in Debug and Ctrl+Click stops working, I double click on Release, wait 1s to see Codeinsight progress shows up, then double click to go back to Debug config:

image.png.2e38b34779a3bc577bf43f38ea4ab4bf.png

488.png.b56f5b4ff63066bd7d046e17a5126acb.png

Annoying, but works almost every time and it takes about 5 seconds. So, not too bad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Mike Torrettinni said:

I found the best and easiest way to get it to work, I just switch between Release/Debug configuration (and back) and you can see the Codeinsight process does something and Ctrl+click starts working again.

Great suggestion, thanks.

I discovered that deleting the .dsk file for the project and re-opening it actually fixed this for me just now. The question remains if this was due to a file that was open (there were dozens) or because of an incompatible configuration in the dsk file from upgrading from Delphi 10.4. Time may tell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1